"Hi,
I have purchased a 1989 RENKEN and was wondering
if anyone can let me know the neg. and pos. about
this boat. she has the King Cobra 5.7 and is omc
outdrive. I have owned and operated a 38 ft Chris
with twin 454's for the past 12 years, The last
i/o i have had was about 14 years ago and was a
merc cruiser.
I did just purchase the RENKEN 1 week ago, and the add said the outdrive was in good working condition. We moved her from the slip to a trailer, just down river. The engine has only 1 hour on her and is a fresh rebuild.
new pistons,rings,brgs,manifolds,rizers, ect.
She runs excellent. shifts hard in and out of gear. I'm hopeing she needs a new cable?
she has been sitting. the bilge was descesting and is now clean. I'm trying to for information on the boat and have not had much luck.
If anyone can help?
Thank You RC
32758.jpg
"

"You're spolied, my man, b

"You're spolied, my man, by all that time with a velvet-smooth marine transmission! ALL outdrives (except the early Mercruiser that used a marine trans) shift wham! and bam!

That said, yours might be idling a bit high, which makes things worse. Try taking her down as low as she will go.

Jeff (inboard guy)"

"If you are having trouble fin

"If you are having trouble finding neutral the interupt switch may not be working. Since the engine was just rebuilt the switch may not have been connected after the install.

But I do agree that if you are comparing this to the old chris shifting there could be nothing wrong with the shifting.

Just a thought, Good luck with the boat it look's like a dandy.

Just wondering. What's a boat like that cost back there? If you don't mind saying."

"OK, Yes i have been spoiled f

"OK, Yes i have been spoiled for the past 12
years, the Chris was a dream to and was a lot of work also. A little hard to go fishing by yourself.
I bought the RENKEN on a wim two hours after i
sold the Chris. All the 26 RENKEN's i was looking at went for about 8-15k
I only payed $3500.00 for this one and they
compleatly rebuilt the engine.
I picked her up in Long Island. But they really
did not take care of the rest of the boat.
she does need a lot of TLC, she does have a lot
of fish wells and compartments, with at least some frt room.
I did not have a hard time finding neutral
but it is hard to move her through the gears.
Like a cable is bad, or a shaft is binding.
To determin the the problem, should i disconect the cables and see how the lever moves?
I am also not fond of the pushing the lever to the left with a comealong,seems like to go in the neutral free rev position.
Thank You, RC"

"RC, Still sounds like a great

"RC, Still sounds like a great buy even if it needs some cleaning and TLC.

As for the cable it sure won't hurt to disconnect it and see how hard it is to move by hand.
If the remote moves free then my guess is the lower shift cable needs replaced.
The reason I asked about neutral is if the interupt switch is not working it makes it very hard to get the thing out of gear. I didn't mean you did not know where neutral was.

If the drive has never had a new cable it's way over due. I take it you have been around boats for awhile just not outdrives.

I can only say that it is best to replace all the bellows,gimble bearing,and any water supply lines in the outdrive while you are in there.

This way you know everything is good for at least the next ten years or so depending on how much you use the boat and you will not have to pay for having it taken apart again should one of these other parts fail next year because they were not replaced. All these parts except the bearing must be removed to service the cable anyway.

Putting in a few hundred or so in parts is nothing. You have a lot of boat for the money.

The trailer must be worth half of what you gave for it."

"Hi Charli,
The trailer was a

"Hi Charli,
The trailer was another 3500.00, 2004 EZloader
hardly used.
I have been around and owned a boat for the past
31 years. both my last two boats were inboards.
Yes your right i just have not been around i/o's
that long. I bought this one because the price was right. I have the omc outdrive manual that was in the boat at purchase, just havent got the chance to go over it. I did find a inpeller in the bilge stern bilge when i was cleaning the oil
and junk out from under it. I also did not know thay had a lower cable, I would of thought it was a shaft. I will go through her like you said
over the winter, like you said, just for a piece
of mind.
I would like to thank you for the information you have provided.
Thank's again RC"

"Hi John,
I just had a chance

"Hi John,
I just had a chance to get back to this forum and check if anyone had sent any information.
In would like to thank you for posting this information for me. I know it will be very usefull. Thank You Again, Roland C"

Back