Logo

Electric Chokes How do they work

C

cmyers

I have an electric choke on a

I have an electric choke on a holley carb that is not opening as the engine warms. What should I be checking and how do they work?

"They work by gradually heatin

"They work by gradually heating a metal spring that expands and gradually opens the choke butterfly. The spring is coiled inside that round housing on the side of the carb. If it's not working, check that you have voltage going to the "hot" connection, that the ground connection is grounded, and that there is continuity in the spring - that is, that it's not broken or bent. Check that the choke linkage moves without binding and that the linkage is connected properly.

"

" Thank you for the reply

" Thank you for the reply

So the tube that goes from the carb to the electric choke is that just carrying hot air to heat the spring?

Is the 'electric' bit just adding to my confusion, what you have described is how I understand the automatic choke works (looked at diagram on Holley's site). I assumed (wrongly) the electric one would be different.

From your answer should one terminal have constant 12v?

Thanks Again

Chris "

"Chokes with tubes from a heat

"Chokes with tubes from a heat source like the exhaust manifold use the heat to expand the spring instead of electrical resistance. Two different kinds of chokes, but both are "automatic" as opposed to a manual choke that uses a push-pull cable to move the butterfly. Yes, one connection to an electric choke should be from a 12v (most common) source, but controlled by the igniton switch to be on only when the switch is in the run position.

"

" Thank you that makes it much

" Thank you that makes it much clearer , I will have fun getting this to work!.

Chris "

Back