Logo

OI drive Installing an outboard inboard

stephydro

" O/I drive :), Installin

" O/I drive :), Installing an outboard... inboard

This is a post I placed on the Classic Boat Discussion Group back in Feb. with no response. I am hoping someone of this board *has some experience* and will offer opinions. I am not much interested in "I don't think I would try that" sort of responses unless there is experience to back it up :)

At this point, this is an exercise in "speculative engineering"; however, I would like to hear of anyone's experience along these lines.

I am considering converting a 1959 Fleetwood moulded ply runabout hull that I own into a step hydroplane with a high humped foredeck, as was sometimes done in the 30s.

I'm working on a novel (?) idea for an engine for it. I'd like to know if anyone's ever seen it done. First, I'm a fan of the Merc inline 6 cyl engines. I own 3 dock bangers now and have had two others in the past.

I am thinking of using a straight 6 as an inboard. At first, I thought of laying one of the dockbangers down and driving the prop shaft directly off the output shaft of the engine, obviating the need for a gearbox. But, I really want more than the 70 hp afforded by this solution, and I didn't want to have to make a water pump system for it.

Next, it occurred that any modern outboard foot has a FNR gearbox in it, so why not get a later 140 hp merc and remove the leg. Now, take a large engine foot, say a 235 hp, and mate it with an adaptor plate,and mount the whole thing vertically... really just a very short outboard engine mounted inboard.

I think that the water pump might not draw, so a lift arrangement still would have to be made. Another possible engineering problem would be cooling the foot, since it is designed to run in a cooling environment, but a water jacket for that shouldn't be any challenge.

Ever seen it done? I'd like to hear your opinion of it. BTW, the reasons for this are light weight and economy :) If I had a lightweight marine gearbox I'd probably do a straight inboard using an sutomotive-type V8. Still, the challenge of this arrangement is interesting.

Cheers/Don Carron
Rockford TN "

" Don,

This was done in the

" Don,

This was done in the fifties - by a company named Fogel (or something like that). They called it VIP - Vertical Inboard Power. It rotated to control direction (thus no rudder required), but did not tilt when it hit a log so was thought to be a liability when compared to an outboard.

In doing this you have to make sure that water does not enter the exhaust (the engine block on an outboard is quite a bit above the normal waterling of the boat so water entry is not a problem. Mounting the block low in the hull would allow the easy entry of water up the exhaust manifold of the block.

Perhaps look at Mecury's inboard jet units based upon 2 stroke outboard blocks. Would be good if Mercury used 4 stroke blocks mated with the jets (better mileage, lower emissions and quieter installations). "

Back