Logo

Automobile water pump on marine engine

C

Carlton Moore

" I have a 350 cubic inch 260

" I have a 350 cubic inch 260 h.p. mercruiser in a 87 searay sundancer. Recently, the water pump (front of the engine, not the impeller in the foot) started making a noise. I matched it up w/ one at the local auto parts store. Perfect match, fits perfect. Are the impellors the same. At first , it didn't seem to cool at idle as good as the old one but now everything seems fine. This boat is a fresh water only boat. Thanks in advance for your answers. "

"If the impellers were the sam

"If the impellers were the same, you just saved yourself some $$. I would expect the pump housing to be the same with a possible difference in impeller metal to retard corrosion, but if you're running in fresh water that's not a huge issue.

"

Important note:
The key word

Important note:
The key words here are fresh water! Do not use an automotive water pump where it will be exposed to salt water. I remember years ago while working for a Mercruiser Dealer that a customer used an automotive pump. I think it lasted about a day. The bearings impeller etc are not made to live in salt water.

I have a 1998 volvo penta 3.0

I have a 1998 volvo penta 3.0 liter IO. My circulating pump siezed up due to corrosion after less than 30 hours of use in salt water. Kent Lundgren a volvo penta spokesperson has informed me that the impeller in their water pump is the same as that in the general motors water pump. Can you believe that????? They tell me that this should not be a problem. Should I get rid of the piece of garbage immediately if not sooner????

Back