Logo

Wrong oil was used in hydro electric gearcase

D

David Dupuis

" I used the wrong gearcase oi

" I used the wrong gearcase oil for my 1972 johnson with a hydro electric gearcase. When I went to get the boat out for the spring it would not go into the reverse or neutral gears. I checked all of the electrical parts, and all work fine. Then I checked the oil to find it all gone. There was none left in the case at all. I realize the oil is needed for shifting to reverse and to neutral. because I used the wrong oil and the oil is now gone, does this mean that I blew out a seal and need it replaced. Just to let you know I used a synthetic automotive gear oil. "

"David.... Using the wrong lub

"David.... Using the wrong lube wouldn't blow out a seal. It would just cause the shifting setup to malfunction if it was too thick (using HIVis instead of Premium Blend/Type C). If you were using a synthetic oil as you state and the unit shifted as it should without causing internal damage, you were luckly. I strongly suspect that the seal failure was simply a coincidence. But at any rate, now you need to find what seal failed and replace it.

Joe
"

Im a little new to bulletin b

Im a little new to bulletin boards but here goes.... I have a '69 evinrude 40 hp lark w/ electic shift. It ran fine 2 weeks ago now it seems like the lower unit is slipping or jumpingteeth on the pinion gear. does anybody have any ideas.....

Kevin

Back