Logo

Carburetor1992 Evinrude 15hp

jordan

" I`m in the process of removi

" I`m in the process of removing the carburetor on a 1992 Evinrude 15hp for cleaning. My question is how is the best way to remove the right-hand side mounting nut. Is it best to remove the flywheel, the recoil starter or both. Any tips will be helpful. Is there any trick in getting the flywheel off, we put a flywheel puller on it we didn`t put much pressure on it, also is seems tighter than what it is supposed to be.
Thanks for any help,
Jordan "

"Jordan.... The puller to use

"Jordan.... The puller to use is one that incorporates three bolts that thread in those three holes surrounding the flywheel nut. Tighten the puller center threaded spindle down, then hit the top of that spindle with a hammer. That will break the flywheel free.

Personally, I remove the manual starter but for the inexperienced, that can be pretty tricky. Pull the cord out some, tie a slip knot so that the cord can't rewind. Remove the starter handle. Hold on to the cord and let it rewind some (not all), and tie the cord to the tall upright that the bendix loop clip glides up and down. When loosening the main bolt shaft, grip the starter assy with your hand so that it doesn't fly apart. When the main bolt shaft is clear of the retaining threads, cafefully lift it out, then attach a nut to the bottom of the retaining shaft to hold the starter together and lay it aside. Now you can get at that port carburetor retaining nut.

Joe
"

" There is another way. Using

" There is another way. Using a med to large straight slot screw driver and a hammer, you can get a bite on the nuts and tap them loose with very little force. getting the nuts back on is tricky without droping them, for this I use a large ice pick through the nut, touch the point to the bolt then slide the nut down and work it on, again using the tap method to secure the nuts. I have done this on more then 1 occasion. Just cant bring myself to remove the pull starter "

Back