Logo

What year is a Johnson Sea Horse Model CD11

R

Randy Williams

" I have an old Sea Horse Mod

" I have an old Sea Horse Mod CD-11. 5.5 HP
I can only make out the last 5 digits of the serial number (63658).
I need a gear for the throttle control. The gear is the one attached to the motor. The one that drives it, which is in the handle, is OK.
Any one help? "

" Hi Randy,
Your motor is a

" Hi Randy,
Your motor is a 1954 model. It's a great little motor, but you have to keep it rich on the oil. It has bronze babbit bearings and aluminum rods and it won't take kindly to modern 50:1 mixes. I run my 1955 Evinrude 7.5 at 24:1 and it seems quite happy.
You might be surprised by checking with an OMC (Evinrude or Johnson) dealer, as they might have that part in stock. If not, a similar one might be available, as they changed gear types from a pointed tip, to a more rounded nub in the mid 1950s. You might have to buy a whole set (arm and base rods with gears) to do the job. I don't think you can just buy the gear, as it is pinned to the rod. Anyway, they used similar setups on all the CD models up into the 1960s. Take yours with you, as the only critical points are the diameter of the shafts and the length.
Which type do you have (short pointed teeth or rounded nubs)? I may even have one somewhere.
- Scott "

" Randy,

The gear you need

" Randy,

The gear you need is part# 303800, which is not available. You might find one if you search around. I will look through my parts and see if I have one.

Tony "

" Randy,
I think I misinterpr

" Randy,
I think I misinterpreted your description of the gear that you need.

After thinking about it, I am sure that the gear you are talking about is at the point where the tiller handle pivots. That would be part #375970, also not available.

I agree with what Scott has said about that.

Tony "

Back