Logo

Another Trim amp Tilt Question

D

DannyC

" Joe,
I just came online to

" Joe,
I just came online to post my problem and read the previous post.
My problem is that the tt will suddenly stop working, both up and down. While checking it at home (by the way it's a '90 200 hp Johnson) with the cover off, I could hear some kind of click noise from the port side of the motor. Does that mean that there's a relay or something that's gone bad, or could it be the sticking oil valves you mentioned in the previous post?
As always, your help is really appreciated.
Thank you,
Danny "

"Danny.... The clicking you he

"Danny.... The clicking you hear are the PTT relays that exist within a black plastic like box which is attached to the powerhead. The cover can be removed via two crews that you'll see there. Relays do go bad, but usually it will only affect one mode, either up or down but not both.

Follow the wiring harness from that PTT relay box a short distance to a plug which is the connection leading to the PTT electric motor and disconnect it.

The connectors (prongs etc) within the connector may be corroded, and if so could be your problem. The PTT electric motor is a dual polarity motor, meaning that (in effect) both battery cables are attached to the connector to make it run in one direction, and reversing the cables make it run in the opposite direction. When the problem exists, do this:

Using small jumpers, apply battery voltage to the PTT electric motor at that connector. If the electric motor still refuses to run (and you're sure you have voltage), the electric motor is faulty. If the electric motor runs fine with voltage applied directly, the motor is okay and a poor connection is elsewhere or the relays are faulty. And like I said (in effect) previously, it's very unlikely that both relays would be bad at the same time (up & down mode both faulty due to relay problem).

Keep in mind that many times a electrical component will fail to work properly simply because a connection at the battery or elsewhere has become dirty/corroded, etc. They may be tight but not clean, and this creates a voltage drop. Check all connections, especially at the battery, and clean them. Keep me informed.

Joe
"

Back