Logo

Trim down not working properly

T

Tim Benz

" '78 Johnson Javelin 85 H

" '78 Johnson Javelin 85 Horse

PT/T came with engine. Trim up works just fine, but when I use switch for trim down, I hear the electric motor but see no movement. I have followed advice and manually trimmed motor down. Here is the question...I am not mechanical at all...a) is there a simple fix? b)is this a serious problem? c) what cost range will this cost to repair?

Thanks...this has been a helpful website reading all the various situations....Tim B "

"Tim..... There's a good p

"Tim..... There's a good possibility that the PTT is working fine, but the engine is tight on the tilt tube. The tilt tube is the tube that the steering cable goes through. Notice that there is a good size nut on both sides. If this is the case, loosen one nut about one turn, see if you can push or force the engine sideways slightly, spray some WD40 in that area. Note the grease fittings.

Getting abck to the PTT. Look at the two (2) trim rams when you have the switch in the down mode and the PTT electric motor is running. If the trim rams are being pulled in but the engine's not moving down, the above scenario is the problem. (When those trim rams are pulled all the way in, the engine will start to be pulled down.

If on the other hand, the trim rams don't move at all (right after the engine has been tilted up), that type problem is usually due to a sticking check valve in the oil pump (it has 2 valves). This valve, when it sticks, is a temporary thing which will equalize within a few minutes, after which the PTT operates fine. Let me know what you find.

Joe
"

" Joe,

Thanks for the advic

" Joe,

Thanks for the advice...I tried both solutions since I figured additional lubrication (I greased the fittings also) would be helpful. The problem was the trim rams were not moving.....I followed your advice I have tried the trim down approx 10 times....holding it down for 2-3 minutes each time. The only change I noticed was that the electric motor sounded "stronger"...originally it really sounded sluggish. Any other ideas? Thanks, Tim "

"Tim..... Not a good idea to k

"Tim..... Not a good idea to keep the elec motor running for more time than absolutely necessary, as excessive running time can really make them heat up. If something doesn't move that should move within a few seconds, no need to keep that elec motor running.

I assumed that you had checked the PTT fluid, but from your last message, I'm wondering if you did. The reservoir is on the opposite side and has a large slotted screw ("O" Ring in back of it). Have the PTT to it fullest up position and fill that unit until the lube flows out of that hole, then replace the screw and "O" Ring. Use only PTT lube.

Joe
"

" Joe,

You're a life sa

" Joe,

You're a life saver...Thanks alot !!!!! I finally managed to open the large slotted screw and filled the PTT fluid. Then I went trim down and it worked just fine....

I wish you a great day....now to get ready for the Wisconsin Opener next weekend....Later, Tim "

Back