Logo

Honda 130 Anyone got proscons

J

Jeff Kagihara

" I am seriously looking at th

" I am seriously looking at the Honda BF 130, but don't know anyone with this larger 4 stroke. Any info, pro/con would be very helpful. Thank you in advance. Jeff "

" Jeff,

I have worked on qu

" Jeff,

I have worked on quite a few Hondas over the years. They are fine machines, and Honda has been making four stroke outboards for a long time. I have always favored OMC products, but if I were considering a four stroke engine I would take a long look at the Hondas.

The only bad thing I can say about Honda is that replacement parts are very expensive, and after market parts are practically non-existent.

Tony "

" Jeff,
I recently repowered

" Jeff,
I recently repowered my BW 18' outrage with a Honda 130 and love it. Yes, it's heavier (and much bigger) than my Johnson 150, so the stern sits about an inch lower (and the bow higher), but not a big deal. I lost no response, my top speed is about 45 mph (about 4 mph slower), the engine is clean, quiet, and fuel efficient. Best of all, just change the oil every 100 hours. Otherwise it's virtually maintenance free. There was a test done comparing Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha. I can email you the pdf file if you'd like.

Honda is expensive, but you can find deals that make it comparable to 2-strokes. I found one in Virginia Beach.

Good luck
Stamp "

" Tony and Stamp,
Thank

" Tony and Stamp,
Thanks for the info. I have a '21 Hawaiian built deep-V with a 115 OMC Sea Drive. I am currently weighing the options of adding abracket and going with the Honda, or reconfiguring and going with a Volvo 130 gas i/o. Though I will lose space with the i/o, it will be cheaper for me since the guy who is going to do it, built the boat, and layed it out in the event an engine box was ever needed. I don't need speed, as I mainly troll for bluewater stuff. But any further suggestions would be helpful. Thanks again, Jeff "

Back