Logo

16b Wooden boat wGraymarine 6cyl

E

Ed McGuire

" I recieved an old 16'boa

" I recieved an old 16'boat for free,Yehah
fiberglass covered wood,peeling in parts but wood seems good,took a screwdriver to the wood and seems to be solid.
looks to be a 6 seater,2 bench seats,engine housing between the seats.
engine is a Graymarine 6-cyl,number on head has a number #209A30.
box(transmission?)reads:
Mod#118
Eng#K4536
I have no idea what i have,Worth fixing?
I'd love too fix this up but need info,manuals etc..
engine cranks but points look bad and plugs and wires too.
Help
Thanks ED "

"There may be some info on thi

"There may be some info on this site to help you. Also, there is Graymarine.org - under construction, but you can call or email them. You should be able to find what you need if search the wooden boat sites, etc.

Hard to say what brand of boat you have. There were literally dozens of wooden boat manufacturers in the post WWII era (which sounds like the vintage of your boat) and many used Graymarine engines. The decision to fix up a wooden boat depends on your motivation, love of the hobby, your facilities and skills (the last two are not nearly as important as the first two!) It can be an expensive hobby, but boating in general is expensive!

One word of caution....wooden bottoms are fiberglassed for a reason - leaks! Fiberglassing a bottom is death on the wood and dangerous in running since it frequently delaminates in rough seas, leaving you with the original leaky hull now heading for Davey Jones Locker. If you're going to restore the boat, do it right and get rid of the fiberglass.

Good luck!

"

" Thanks for the info.
What w

" Thanks for the info.
What would be the best way to take the old fiberglass off?
I dont have a website or id post some pictures.
Also webmaster did give me info on manual from this site so that should help.
Again,Thanks
Ed (Boat Newbie)lol "

"Elbow grease, a sander and a

"Elbow grease, a sander and a lots of sandpaper. Stripper is usually pretty useless when faced with cured epoxy/vinyl resin. You can use a belt sander in this case, since it's very likely the bottom planks will need to be replaced. Still, work carefully in case you luck out and get some usable planks (I'm assuming the hull is planked, not plywood.) Gotta be honest here, removing this stuff is an awful job but if the fiberglass will strip off with some encouragement that's a major bonus.

"

"we have a graymarine engine 4

"we have a graymarine engine 4 cyl. This engine has 3 valves. The top one is for the garden hose, the middle one the end of the hose is loose and just hanging their, does it go somewhere? The bottom valve is too let the water in but what is
the middle valve for with the loose hose?
[email protected]"

" Ed:

Sorry to disagree abo

" Ed:

Sorry to disagree about the fiberglass. The best way to deal with your boat is to ADD more glass to it, not try to take the old stuff off. I have done this twice. Also, I glassed a 30 cedar plank on oak frames by removing all the caulking, driving long pine wedges into the seams and glassing the entire hull with lots of glass. TYhe boat spent 3 years crusing in the South Pacirfic and, 20 years later, is still sailing up and downthe west coast. There have been no problems with the hull in all that time and all that sailing. Getting the old glass off is only the start of a very tough job. You will still have to refurbish the wooden hull. What I have done is actually to build a fiber glass boat using the old hull as a mold and simply leaving the mold in the hull when it is done/ A 16' boat is a piece of cake for this kind of rebuild.

Bob "

"I have a graymarine motor. 1

"I have a graymarine motor. 131hp. 6cyl. It was rebuilt about 15 yrs ago and was test run but never put back in the boat. it also has transmission,prop, and shaft. I want to sell this but have no idea what it is worth. It has been in a shop and coverd the full time. Any idea on value or were I could sell it?
[email protected]"

"I have purchased a Century re

"I have purchased a Century resoter 16 with a 135 Graymarine dual carb. I am experiencing a elect. problem, when batt. cable is connected it draws an arc, like a small load. if I leave the batt hooked up it goes dead overnight, also if i hook up a charger, while batt is connected, the generator gets warm. Any sugestions, help please, we want to start using this new toy.
Tom Johnson"

""I have purchased a Centu

""I have purchased a Century resoter 16 with a 135 Graymarine dual carb. I am experiencing a elect. problem, when batt. cable is connected it draws an arc, like a small load. if I leave the batt hooked up it goes dead overnight, also if i hook up a charger, while batt is connected, the generator gets warm. Any sugestions, help please, we want to start using this new toy.
Tom Johnson"

Tom: You need to start a new thread, not tack on to another's. More successful that way.

I suspect the relay in your voltage regulator has stuck contacts. You can find out by disconnecting the wire for the field at the gnenerator, then connecting the battery cable and see if it still sparks. If it does, keep disconnecting things until you find the culprit.

Jeff"

"Jeff, you seem to be the atho

"Jeff, you seem to be the athority on these sweet old boats, any idea where I can find the regulator , you were right, when I disconnected the regulator the arc stoped. now I need a 6volt pos grd two post regulator, any help is really appreciated.
Tom"

"Hello,first time here. Came a

"Hello,first time here. Came across a 1946 Century 16' in sad shape but solid. Thinking of taking on the restore but am unable to find any comparables as to the final value. In fact, I've had trouble finding any info on that year and model. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Dean"

"Dean, there are a few sites o

"Dean, there are a few sites on the net that you can get into. First there is the Century boat club, then the Antique and Classic Boat Society, there is a chat board on Yahoo called Century wooden boats. You can google any one of them for the address. There is also the Danenberg boat works you can check into. All excellent sites. Then there are a number of links on these sites that can lead you to where you are going.
Cal
Cal"

Back