Logo

197 Merc Lower Unit Removal

C

Chuck B

" Hi,

I have a early 70&#3

" Hi,

I have a early 70's 65HP 4 cylinder that needs water pump replacement. I can only get the lower unit to split about 1/2 inch. Looks as though it is being held up somewhere near where the shift shaft couples to the lower unit. There is a small (stripped) brass access in the vicinity of this coupling. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for any replies. "

" You must have removed all of

" You must have removed all of the bolts and nuts holding it in, otherwise it wouldn't come down that 1/2". The driveshaft may be sticking in the crankshaft or the shift shaft could be holding it, as well as a stud or two. You can CAREFULLY use a prybar in the opening you have created to try and persuade it to come off. The shift shaft and driveshaft are just splined and should slip out. "

" Hi,

I fought one for a wh

" Hi,

I fought one for a while until I found the last bolt under the trim tab. You have to take the tab off with a large allen wrench first and the final bolt is under the tab. There may be a plastic cap over the trim tab bolt. Most of the time, these are long gone, though.

Good luck!

Kirk "

" I've got the same proble

" I've got the same problem on my 1984 75 Merc.. down 1/2 inch, all bolts out including one under trim tab, but all the prying won't budge it.. what's next? "

Back