Logo

New Prop for a Honda 50 What size do you think

constablechris

Contributing Member
"Hello to all,

I have a 4.5

"Hello to all,

I have a 4.5 metre (15 odd foot) 2.1m beam (6odd ft)tiller steet aluminium boat. Dont know the weight, it is open and has a marine ply floor. I run a 2002 Honda 50hp motor pushing it along.

I usually have 40 litres of fuel on board and one other passenger. I dont have a rev meter so dont know my rpm either, but it does about 46 to 48 km/h at not quite full noise.

I use the boat for fishing, and at times cover 40 to 60 km to go fishing, and troll or cast for my target.

I currently have an 11.4 x 12 pitch. I have previously run it with a 11 1/4 inch x 13 pitch prop. Both ally. Both Solas

Now I am after a stainless prop ( I wear the aluminium props out very quickly pushing through sand)

Would a 12 x 13prop suit do you think? Would it even fit? Or should I stick with the 11.4 x 13?

I tell you what, the props are about double the price in Australia as to what they are in the US, so I will have to do a postal order for this one.

Thanks for any advice.

Chris"

"I would stick with 11-1/4 x 1

"I would stick with 11-1/4 x 13 prop which is the
stock prop on most Honda 50 hp motor's
here is a good price on Iboats

http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Honda/50_HP_(1995Newer)_13.00-Pitch_Propellers/206/?rotation=Standard&session_id=134076637&c art_id=900541904

(you will have to plug in your motor,pitch etc)

I'm surprised the prices are higher as i believe Solas are made in Oz ?"

"Hi there Scott,

thanks for

"Hi there Scott,

thanks for the reply. Do you think the 11 1/8 propp will be alright, they dont seem to have an 11 1/4 or 11 1/2 on that site.

I got a price for a solas last week in Aus, cost is $520.00, so If i get one in the US I am saving about $200, which is always a good thing.

Regards

Chris"

"The 11-1/8 will be close enou

"The 11-1/8 will be close enough, there's no flex
on ss prop so you will likely pick up better hole
shot and top end."

"He has no tach. which is cruc

"He has no tach. which is crucial to propping the
boat correctly, the motor should top out at
5500-6000 rpm's."

"Thanks for your reply Scott,

"Thanks for your reply Scott, i will go with that mob for the prop, and thanks for your advice. I am sure as long as I stay within the range the manafacturer originally put on the motor it will all be fine.

I have looked at putting on a tacho, but it is tiller steer so it is a bit of a pain to have one.

Again thanks, and thanks Jamie for your question"

Back