Logo

KAMD43P Engine Smoking Problems

patfranburke

"See attachment<center><table

"See attachment<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.marineengine.com/discus/icons/mime_msword.gif""" align=left alt=""application/msword"">Volvo
[url=""][b]Volvo.doc[/b][/url] (27.6 k)</td></tr></table></center>I have changed the turbocharger 4 times which solves the smoking problem for a short time. I have included a detailed summary of my problems and actions. I need help. Please post all suggestions. Thank you, in advance, Pat Burke"

"Second try, I may have overwh

"Second try, I may have overwhelmed the system with 2 pages of problem description. New approach: I have been overprotective with my engines (low RPM for 200 hours) since we found FOD in the ruined turbocharger. Should I accelerate quickly to high power and clear out both engines regardless of black smoke in the exhaust?? Pat"

"I would like to see some pick

"I would like to see some picks of the engine room, ventilation installations etc before commenting further."

"Morten: Thank you for your r

"Morten: Thank you for your response. I am in San Diego and will travel to Ensenada next week and get the pictures. In the meantime here's a description of the 3 engine air intakes. We have 2 chevron type intakes (3"x14") on the side of the cruiser; we have 2 deck intakes (5"x10")behind and protected by the cabin; and we have 2 more (3"x12") on the transom protected by the bait tanks. I have tried running with both engine room hatches open (4'x8') and the port engine seems to be running normally. Thank You, Pat"

"Morten; I took pictures in En

"Morten; I took pictures in Ensenada yesterday. See attached. I ran the boat and measured the following temperatures P&S reservoirs 86 deg F; P&S turbocharger housing 175 deg F; Port turbocharger compressor housing 260 deg F, Stbd 380 deg F. I checked the turbocharged air passages and the intercooler, all clean with a small amount of oil. Is it possible that after the first turbocharger failure that I have an oversized turbo and that I am heating the intake air too high and dont have enogh density for the fuel burn?? Thank you, Pat"

Back