Logo

2004 honda bf50 winterizing

joe_arena

"Im trying to set up a bf 50 f

"Im trying to set up a bf 50 for winter storage. sailboat is in a saltwater slip in Vancouver BC. I have flushed the engine in fresh water using a large garbage pail . Disconected the fuel line to run out the float bowls .Tilted the engine up , pumped out the engine oil and replaced. removed plugs and added 10cc oil to each cylinder.Burped the starter a few seconds to coat the combustion chambers and re inserted plugs.The engine tilt stop was put in place to take the load off the hydraulics, the engine is left in this position and a engine cover is used that covers most of it except the prop.The lower leg oil will have to wait untill spring as its over water. Im detailing the procedure in case Im doing something wrong. My biggest concern is Im told that with the engine stored tilted up after a fresh water flush that it could result in freezing damage , as the engine doesnt clear of water in this position.I could store it down in the salt water but this doesnt seem right. I could lower it into the salt water to drain it assuming it does, then tilit it back for storage. I followed the same procedure last winter and was ok. Maybe it doesnt get too cold this close to salt water. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks"

Back