Logo

Honda 4 stroke 20 hp

lefti

"i just purchased a used 2006

"i just purchased a used 2006 20 hp honda and its on a 14 48 crestliner john boat i was out in it the other day with 2 orher guis and it ran well but today i went in it by my self and it got up to plane very fast but at full throtel it started to hitch a bit so i let off a litel and it worked good but i have about 2 inches left in the throtel if i open it up it starts to miss again i tried an old prop i had it diddent do the same thing but it was alot slower , im new at this what are my options the prop on it now is a 9 and a quarter by 10 and a half i think that is a standard"

"The 9 1/4 x 10 is the standar

"The 9 1/4 x 10 is the standard prop that comes with the motor. It sounds like it is the correct prop for three people in the boat.

When it was only you, the motor was pushing much less weight and it turned too high rpms and overreved. The motor has a built in rev limiter, than causes the motor to cut its speed so the motor does not blow up. When you reduced throttle, you put the motor back into its proper rpm range.

What was the size and pitch of the second prop that you put on? It must have been a higher pitch and maybe diameter.

The largest pitch that Honda makes for that motor is a 9 1/4 x 11. That may or may not be enough increase in pitch to reduce your maximum rpms. This one would reduce your rpms by 200 - 300 rpm.

If you are able to connect a tachometer to the motor, you could see exactly what your max rpms are with the different props. It should be somewhere near 6000 rpm.

It will all depend on how many people are going to be in the boat when you use it the most. It is just like life...it is a compromise. The first prop may be the best if you usually go out with your buddies.

If you go out be yourself most of the time, it might be worth the time experimenting with a prop one or two pitches larger. Even though Honda only offers one pitch higher, I think Mercury or Michigan make some props that will fit it that are a little larger. Your local shop may have some good used ones that you could pick up for a good price.

I hope this helps."

Back