Logo

New 6HP ultra long shaft idle problem

218dlv

"Hi ,I just installed a 6hp as

"Hi ,I just installed a 6hp as a kicker and I am haveing trouble keeping the engine running at idle.

This is a brand new install of a 2010 engine.The engine has had neither bad gas or been allowed to sit unused, also the engine has been run only with the supplied gas tank.

When first installed this motor perfomed as expected ,started with ease ,shifted into gear and was run at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle for less than a hour due to incoming weather.
As a weekly maint. chore ,starting both main and kicker ,I noticed that my kicker seemed to be takeing longer to warm up than when I had first installed it the week before.After letting the engine run 10min it still would not run if the choke was pushed all the way in .
I will be able to further troubleshoot this engine this weekend and was hopeing for a few hints on where to start first .

btw, I am ordering the service manual this eve. and my nearest auth service rep. is showing 2 1/2 to 3 hours from me so "dropping" it by them isn't really an option.As I am often in rural boating areas I prefer to be able to service and repair my own equipment."

"One more quick ? ,I am not su

"One more quick ? ,I am not sure of which ser.man to order.

003210340 4A / 5A / 6A (4-STROKE) SERVICE MANUAL (TOHATSU/NISSAN)
003210341 4A2 / 5A2 / 6A2 (4-STROKE) SERVICE MANUAL (TOHATSU/NISSAN)
I don't have motor or invoice at my curent location.I do know that it is a 2010 MFS6BUL"

"You probably have a dirty csr

"You probably have a dirty csrburetor due to contaminted fuel. Clean the carb, dump the fuel, and make sure your oil level in the crankcase is between the two hash marks(do not fill it up to the top mark as the manual informs you). Neither manual is correct as you have a B model. You have a completely different ignition system. However, since Tohatsu has never offered a manual for the B model...The A2 model manual(the A manual was replaced by the A2 manual), http://www.internetoutboards.com/partdetail.asp?id=176 is the closest."

"Thankyou for your quick respo

"Thankyou for your quick responce,
Seems like 1 week is too soon for gas to junk up a carb,but I will be checking the carb first."

Its unlikely that the fuel cou

Its unlikely that the fuel could evaporate out after only a week...Its very likely that debris or water was in the fuel itself when you purchased it and that is likely to have fouled the carburetor. Also keep in mind that the idle should be set at around 1100 in gear. Depending on your boats weight and water/wind resistance the idle may just need to be bumped up a little.

"Seems a "bug" of some

"Seems a "bug" of some sorts got into the carb...after a good cleaning in carb dip ,the 6hp is back up and running.I am thinking a lite coat of chain lube on the screen might slow the lil "buggers" down a bit ,and they will be easyer to wipe from the screen than haveing to clean the carb .

Thanks again for your reply.
happy.gif
"

Back