Logo

UPDATE Dash Short Signal Tracer Needed

knuckle47

Advanced Contributor
"Got down to the boat bright a

"Got down to the boat bright and early and started looking into the dead engine, squirelly tachometer and shorted buzzers problem. After about 20 minutes the realization hit that this was going to be no simple solution as everything I looked at seemed to check out. The tach had a very loose wire

We started again to see why we were not getting spark so measured the voltage at the 2 part - 4 pin plug on the coil and with the key switch..it was working...

IGNITION MODULE! There is no other place after the coil to go and sure enough...I remember something Line 6 Rick told me when I was still wet behind the ears a few years ago. " Well, you've got two of everything with two engines so try swapping some of the same parts" Swapped the Ignition Module and she started right up.

By Noon, we were done and on the way home

I irony lies in the fact that 3 other things went wrong at the SAME exact time. Since we had been tugging at the dash wiring for 1/2 a day, then it just died and the buzzers went off, PLUS the wiring is a nightmare to start with.. THAT was the direction I had started in. Those are lottery odds but I lose there too!

Quite pleased that things are back to normal and this re-wire will wait a few more weeks until haul out. Back to fishing this weekend"

Glad you got at least one reso

Glad you got at least one resolved...did you find the source of the buzzer sounding yet?

you could use a multimeter to

you could use a multimeter to test for continuity from one end of the circuit to the other to be sure there is not a break in the wiring throughout the whole circuit. sometimes although it is rare a pin hole in the insulation could cause moisture to get in and cause corosion behind the insulation which you can not see

"I've seen more than one n

"I've seen more than one nicked insulator that let enough moisture in to corrode thru even stranded, tinned wire - never underestimate the power of ocean salt water."

"It would'nt be so bad if

"It would'nt be so bad if the boat HAD tinned copper wire..It is plain stranded copper wire. The #14 wire I cleaned up today is very stiff and lays poorly in a bundle. Some of the older ring terminals that I had cut and replaced were blackened 3/4" or more away from the end with oxidation under the insulating sheath.

Mark, The buzzers on the good side were buzzing because of a ground in a broken lead from the sender. SO LOUD too since the upper and lower helm buzzers activated. All CURRENT issues dealt with

If the integrity of the wiring were good enough to use an ohmmeter, I would but there are too many interuptions on color and zero conformity to any code system. Some circuits are completed with speaker wire! Nice to follow a black wire for 15 feet and suddenly find a yellow butt connector and it turns into brown lamp cord"

why not use replacement wiring

why not use replacement wiring harnesses? they are around 100 bucks and eliminate any causes for suspicion. dam these phillies i can't even watch.

"Al: at least it was stranded!

"Al: at least it was stranded! Yes, i've seen several "jobs" that were done with what the electrician had leftover from doing breaker panel installs."

"Andy...You are South Jersey.

"Andy...You are South Jersey. Phillies?

Mark, THIS is factory wiring ! I probably have some of that as well...just ain't found it yet."

An instant flashback to the sc

An instant flashback to the scene where "Mr Bill" goes "OOOOHHHHNNNNOOOOO!!" as Sluggo is approaching with a spool of wire and some Cutting Pliers...and that sinister grin!

"Yeah, I bought into the Ancor

"Yeah, I bought into the Ancor wire talk too. Guess what is the only piece of original wire in my boat? It's the 36 year old bonding strap in the bilge. And its not broken. And, its not stranded, or plated with tin, either.
While I do believe that solid wire can last longer than stranded against corrosion, it is harder to use crimp terminals, and bending a solid 00AWG would not be fun. Solid wire does need a lot more supports than finely stranded, but sometimes I think the industry has gone too far with the ultra flexible stranding."

"The stuff i saw 'corroded

"The stuff i saw 'corroded thru' was mil-spec'ed aircraft wire. Owner stated it was acquired thru the surplus channels, very cheap. maybe had four years on it. My suspicion was the roll bounced around in a box with some sharp pointed objects that violated the insulation. The broken spot was in a "low" spot in the wire run.

we verified the wire was open and he stated BS, rather emmphatically. we found it manually, feeling the whole frigging run and the associated fiberglas remains that had accumulated over the years."

"Here is an COMPLETEY UNRELATE

"Here is an COMPLETEY UNRELATED Surplus acquisition story:

A friend worked for a NJ highway authority and was going to have another friend leave a 5 gallon bucket of white paint for him..He was going to repaint the side of his house. As in all screw ups, he grabbed the wrong paint..the one with reflectorized materials mixed in.

Everytime a person passed his house at night with lights..the house glowed!"

No way to deny the midnight re

No way to deny the midnight rec on that one. But the house must be cool on halloween!

Back