Logo

New Tohatsu 6hp 4s low speed problems

kjacobsen

"I have a persistent problem w

"I have a persistent problem with the engine dying when kept at idle for more than a few minutes. I've followed advice seen on this discussion board by adjusting idle screw, changing plug, using new, clean fuel, running engine dry before shutdown, and draining carb.bowl. The problem persists. Yesterday, while using the boat,a new problem arose;the engine began racing in nuetral with the throttle closed all the way, When put into gear,the speed returned to normal rough idle.
I bought this engine new online. It has a total of about 5-7 hours on it. I've never dealt with the local service people, and would prefer to solve the problem myself.

I'd appreciate any advice, suggestions. I have the repair manual.

Thanks"

While I appreciate the idea of

While I appreciate the idea of solving the problem yourself I think it would be a bad idea for me to assist you at this point. You really need to avail yourself of the free warranty coverage that you paid for when you purchased the engine. If you are 100% opposed to taking it into a dealer then I would suggest you contact Tohatsu at 214-420-6440 as they can provide you with direct technical support.

"Thanks for the candid advice.

"Thanks for the candid advice. I'll be taking the engine to the service dealer tomorrow, will hope he's a good one."

Back