Logo

Heat exhanger cleaning

bobct

Advanced Contributor
"I pulled the end caps off my

"I pulled the end caps off my 454 heat exchanger today and some of the holes are clogged up.

Did I read correctly that the whole assembly slides out or am I losing my mind? What's the best way to clean out the holes?

I've read mixed things about bringing it somewhere but I have all of the hoses disconected so now would be the time. Same with the u-cooler? I haven't touched that either. Engine was not overheating, just catching up on maintenance after just buying the boat.

Bob"

"Those tubes are soldered to t

"Those tubes are soldered to the copper pipe. It takes 500 deg to seperate them! I would take the units to a radiator shop that does marine work. If you want to fool with it, take a wooden stick and poke at the zinc and calcium residue. I would not take anything made of steel to it. A good boilout will also clean the internals that you won't be able to reach."

"Use a descale liquid, found a

"Use a descale liquid, found at hardware stores or plumbing supplier. Eye protection and gloves are a must. I do boiler work and have always used this on my oil coolers and heat exchangers."

Another handy item is a 3/8&#3

Another handy item is a 3/8" diameter block brush. Like Dave said - no steel bristles.

"will a brush go all the way t

"will a brush go all the way through to the other side? In other words, will I see light if I rifle the holes clean?"

"with both caps off and a long

"with both caps off and a long enough brush, Yes - daylight should be visible thru all those tubes.

The brush I have has bristles for about 10, maybe 12 inches. the overall length is at least 30". Looks like a gigantic test tube cleaning brush from chemistry class."

"that sounds like a good appro

"that sounds like a good approach. Where did you buy your brush?

thanks,
Bob"

"I got it thru the boat shop w

"I got it thru the boat shop where I worked. The last conversion kit I touched had schaefer Brush Company listed as a source. they are up in minn or wisconsin, in the middle of the country. they had a part number but I don't have that booklet handy. I bet if you searched on the WWW, you could find them. Tell them you want the "mercrusier heat exchanger brush" they've been selling for years and see what they say. I believe I got two for $15 and that was years ago."

"bob:

here's the info:

"bob:

here's the info:

schaefer brush MFG CO, INC, milwaukee wis. 53204
brush part number 01299.

The picture is a bit faded but it is similar to my earlier description. The difference is the bristle part is maybe 4-6" or 10-15% of the total length has bristles. The text of the manual describes it as a "suitable wire brush"."

"Thanks, I just checked them o

"Thanks, I just checked them out but they have a $100 min order. Your brushes are going up in value!

I'll keep looking around and post if I find something."

"don:

mrpops described it p

"don:

mrpops described it pretty well.

the brush end looks like an elongated gun brush. instead of being screwed into a cylinderical rod, its wires are extended about 3' with a loop in the end. Looks similar to a plumber's pipe cleaning brush though more flexible and with a much longer twisted shaft.

the picture i have is on paper and i know it won't scan and preserve any detail."

"Mark...et all.....

Anyhooo

"Mark...et all.....

Anyhooooooo...
snow.gif
I talked to a fellow who apparently knows your model number and he calls it a "condensor Brush"....and then he pointed me to another fellow who should have them and I would like to know if the "end" of the brush looks somewhat like one of these.
296171.jpg
bush"">

Apparently it has about a 30 inch handle on it and they call it .200 inches brass condenser brush.

The last contact I made was with a fellow who said he had 4 of the 01299 models sitting on the shelf and he "might" make a deal to get rid of them...((not sure what he meant......but there you go))
warning.gif
"

"OK...fellows.... I managed to

"OK...fellows.... I managed to get the last 4 of the models that MARK alluded to (model 01299). I think the price will be approximately 16.00 USD...per brush.

I will advise when I have them and if anyone wants one...first come first served.....(((I guess Diver Dave has already spoken for one)))Three,(3), still available now.

The FINAL price for each will be 1/4 of my actual cost and then mailing costs to you. I am not in this to make a cent..

I just enjoy running around the Net and finding the "unfindable"
lol.gif

PS..MARK......you are dating yourself...the guy says that model is from about 1957-1960
rofl.gif
"

I tried using a .177 caliber g

I tried using a .177 caliber gun cleaning brush and it seemed to work but it was on an old handle and it broke by the second pass thru.

"Al...same thing!!! The brush

"Al...same thing!!! The brush broke 3 or for tubes in. I acid washed my xchanger last season, but a good brushing once a year would be PERFECT. Let me know Don!!"

"<font color=""0000ff"">Don, I

"<font color=""0000ff"">Don, I will buy one as well..if you have them available</font>...AL

<font color=""ff0000"">I would take one too....</font> TED

Ok AL/Ted...there is now One,(1), remaining. Will let you know when I get the product.
snow.gif

DK"

one between the two of us...or

one between the two of us...or 1 left for someone else? I thought I saw Dave wanted one...either way...let me know! This forum is great!!

"When they come in.

diver d

"When they come in.

diver dave
Ted Broderick
Al
Bob Dunne

all have ordered a brush......none left ..sorry

Will let you know when I have them and we'll work something out.
happy.gif
"

"What do they say on some foru

"What do they say on some forums....? +1

I have no clue what it means but when people are in terrific agreement, I have seen that

SO +++++++1"

"I hate to admit it as it will

"I hate to admit it as it will look like I have no life
happy.gif
but...in "forum chat"

+1 means .........I agree

^^^ means........ thanks

-3000 means ......what you have posted is all Bovine Excrement, (depending on the degree of disagreement you may post a different digit) ..... -100 means..."well Ok " 'but' have you considered this option?"

Useless trivia which has evoked a thread drift....sorry.
uhoh.gif
"

I want brush if one is still a

I want brush if one is still available! I flew down to post after I read only three!

Back