Logo

Aq145a Distributor

isisthree

"Hi, I would like to service t

"Hi, I would like to service the lower part of my distributor(s) and to do this I would like to remove it from the engine. I know the bottome has a cog drive and I am concerned that I will not get it back in the same place.

I am proposing to remove the cap and mark with a spot of tipex the position of the rotor cap. When I come to put it back on I would just line up the rotor with the dob of paint.

Do you think this will work O.K. or is there a better method please?

Any advice greatly accepted

Many Thanks

Nick"

"You would be better off looki

"You would be better off looking at the relative position of the distributor body with the engine block, and also looking where the rotor is pointing at before you remove the distributor. Regardless of the system you use, you will have to verify and likely adjust the ignition timing after you reinstall the distributor."

"Nick, I'd suggest to alwa

"Nick, I'd suggest to always bring # 1 cylinder around to TDC on the compression stroke before removing a distributor. This gives you a better chance at indexing it correctly when re-installing, IMO.
Pay attention to the rotor position, assuming that it was correct to begin with.
These can actually be indexed any which way you want to as long as the wires/firing order match up....... but best to follow the OEM.

Ditto El P.... always check and/or reset the timing... not only BASE, but TA as well. "

"Hi Thanks for that, I will ce

"Hi Thanks for that, I will certainly do as you both suggest. Ricardo, I don't understand the terms "Base Timing" and "TA". Could you be more specific please

Many Thanks

Nick Porter"

[b]BASE[/b] timing is what mos

BASE timing is what most of us think of as "Setting Timing". This is the initial spark lead that is set at the specified engine idle RPM.

TA or TAT is Total Advance or Total Advance Timing....... and is of most importance! (a part of what makes horse power and good performance)
Your OEM manual will give you this spec for your engine! (each engine's TA is slightly different)
It requires that the engine RPM be increased to the spark advance limit while the timing marks are being "strobed". This will show you how the spark is advancing.... both the curve and the limit!
You'll want to see this in Real Degrees.... and in Real Time.... so I find it best to NOT use a digitally advancing timing light for this!

"Hi Ricardo. Thanks for all of

"Hi Ricardo. Thanks for all of that. I understand now.
As I have said before, and I hope I speak for all of us that use this Forum, we are ever grateful for the time and expertise so freely given by all the technicians.

Thanks Again

NIck Porter"

Back