Logo

Six cylinder Chevy inboards

"Does anyone know if/ who made

"Does anyone know if/ who made a straight inboard Chevy 6 banger drive? It seems like I remember seeing this setup in a twin screw boat at one time? Searches turn up lots of I/Os, but no luck on straight inboards.

I would love to find a RH rotation, 292 (or 250) Chevy six cylinder inboard. Prefer flywheel aft with 1:1 gearbox.

Were these made , or am I just dreaming? Thanks!"

"Ayuh,... I'm sure they&#

"Ayuh,... I'm sure they're out there,...
But,...
A Righthanded 1 will be a Tough find...
And,...
They've been out of production since the 70s..."

"I fished on a bay built with

"I fished on a bay built with a 250 inboard when I was a kids many years ago. Seen plenty of I/O's, too.

The RH version will be hard to find and I'd bet it would be custom. Better off keeping the LH rotation and, if you really need RH, use a counter rotating gear. I'm sure you could buy several props for what the gear costs.

chevy put them into trucks well into the 80's so there are plenty of blocks out there."

"The current engine is a Ford

"The current engine is a Ford 6 , FFW setup that spins a RH wheel. Will probably end up rebuilding it, if I cant find a RH Chevy flywheel aft.
I figured about the only way to find the Chevy was half of an old twin engine setup. Other issue could be if I need a new cam for the backwards chevy..."

"Compcams could make you a rev

"Compcams could make you a reverse grind cam,
you'd need to have the starter reversed too.. but that's easy (for a starter rebuild shop)"

"Hey Brian,
You probably fig

"Hey Brian,
You probably figured out from my "exhaust" post, as of now, I'm planning to rebuild the Ford six. Tough decision, at first, for this die hard Chevy guy! ... LOL ...

I started this post with the hope that there was that one, lonely, six banger Chevy marine setup, just looking for a home. But after doing some more measuring, it would also need to be a flywheel forward setup, making it all the more impossible to find. ... A flywheel aft with the velvet drive is too long to fit under the engine cover. Soooo back to the "backwards Ford" .

I wont admit it to many people, but Ive actually got some kind of a "weird love" for that Interceptor I6! Of coarse there are still s few months before starting on the rebuild..

BTW, I see you have a 74 Starcraft. we just bought a 72, 18 footer, we hope to restore. Has the Merc 120 I/O with cracked block. Look like pretty well built boats?."

"If I wasn't born a GM bab

"If I wasn't born a GM baby, I'd be a FORD baby.. and still in love with inlines. .. Def check out the Starcraft postings.. really great group, we're doing a "TIN STOCK" in June in VA..

http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53

As for the cracked 120.. though unless it's cracked very close to the head (within 1"-2") put some epoxy on it and go.. many have done this and lasted for years !!!! else.. drop a 140 in, though you could drop a I6 in there too.. 165hp.

yea there Ok, the Tinners like them cuz there easy to rehab vs Glass boats.

doing a flywheel forward with a rear facing engine is possible with a "V Drive" I've seen a couple engines that faced rear, but I think there oil pan pickup was also at the rear "front" of the engine."

"Brian,
My six banger Ford i

"Brian,
My six banger Ford is a flywheel forward "straight" inboard motor. It has a Paragon bolted to what used to be the front if in a car. Heres a pic...
335441.jpg
Flywheel forward..."">

Check out the starter location.

As for the Starcraft, it's my son's boat. I oiginally bought it to part out,but once we got it home decided it was too nice to part. The engine is cracked internally..leaks water into the oil, so no JB fix. We will be looking for a donor boat, hopefully a 165 with the outdrive to change everything over. Might be a year or so before starting that project tho.

Will definately check out the Tin website!"

"Yea.. aint nothing like that

"Yea.. aint nothing like that exists with a GM.. that I've seen so far.. cool.. if you ever need to change the ring gear, sure is easy..

If you get a donor 165.. dont worry about the drive, You can still use a 1.98r 4cyl drive.. just need a bigger prop.. I did calcs and used a 1.98drive ( was a little hard to steer with the added torque) but other than that, only difference was I used a 23p instead of 19p.. check out my "story" you'll see a graph/plot

can also change the gear set from 1.98 to 1.65/1.62, or change uppers."

"Bad time of year, my son just

"Bad time of year, my son just missed a running, donor boat with a complete 165 setup...sold for $350 with the trailer! Oh well there will be more.

We will probably try and find something with an outdrive, as this one is apart already. PO got in WAY over his head...tore it apart to put new bellows kit in....didnt have a clue! Then let it freeze..but for 150 bucks with the trailer didnt think we could go too far wrong?

Heres a pic..

335466.jpg
"

"Steve, I don't know if th

"Steve, I don't know if this will be of any value to you, but the 250 6 cylinder engine was actually a very good engine. OMC and Mercruiser used it for several years with their I/O's! Very tuff little engines!
I am not very familiar with this engine as an I/B.

I agree... making one into a RH rotation will be expensive.... perhaps "cost in-effective", but I don't know your budget!

You mention Prefer flywheel aft with 1:1 gearbox!
I would also!

As with most engines that were marinized, someone will no doubt offer a Borg Warner pattern flywheel cover for this engine.
(if memory serves me, the 250 rear engine flange is same as V-8 pattern..... Yes/No? )

If so, this will/should offer your connection to the Paragon transmission for a "Flywheel AFT" installation!

Well, good luck on this!"

"Ricardo, I really wouldnt hav

"Ricardo, I really wouldnt have a problem running a 250 I6 Chevy either. In the first post, I hadnt thought about the extra length of a FW Aft setup. So that pretty much makes me stick to a FW Forward setup.

I cant remember seeing a I6 Chevy in a single engine, straight inboard setup(FWA or FWF). I only remember the Ford and a few "slant" six Chryslers.

Right now, budget is a conern...and I really dont want to re-invent the wheel. As of now, Im hoping to at least replace the 170CI with a 200CI Ford I6. If business doesnt get better, I may be using oars!LOL"

"Oars will work, but you'd

"Oars will work, but you'd best give yourself more time between destinations! Maybe a larger crew, also!
wink.gif
"

I was just browsing through ag

I was just browsing through again and had a thought.. I know you dont need to know as you're going to repower with another inline Ford (which I think is the right thing to do) you could make a chevy do the same thing with a :) little bit o work..

-Happy Holidays !!!
Brian

Back