Logo

Bent prop Aluminium

nedkelly

"Hi guys,
I was out on the ri

"Hi guys,
I was out on the river yesterday and it looks like God put a bloody log right in the path of my prop and put a small bend in the tip. My question is can this aluminium prop be restraightened? Can I do it myself or do I need to take it to someone with special tools and a need to empty my wallet?"

"Yes, it can be fixed. They c

"Yes, it can be fixed. They can even replace missing chunks, which would probably be necessary if you try to fix it yourself. Cost around $50-60 usually."

From my point of view it is no

From my point of view it is not recommended. You said small bend in the prop tip but you have to be 100 % sure that you do not have any vibration problem. This because vibration problem can lead to bearing and seal problem later.

Prop shops can easily repair a

Prop shops can easily repair and balance the repaired goods. Should save you a few pennies over replacing with new.

"You can panel beat the blade

"You can panel beat the blade back into shape if it is not too badly bent, yourself without fear of it being out of balance. The prop will not get heavier on one blade because you hit it."

If the blade is bent less than

If the blade is bent less than 45 deg it will tap back into place.
Remember to place prop blade on heavy object (steel)then hit it with a hammer

Ok guys The prop is now bent b

Ok guys The prop is now bent back into shape but now I have discovered more probs.
I took her out again yesterday and she starts no problem at all but then she just wouldn't get up on a plane. As I put her into WOT it's like she just dies. Also saw that she wasn't peeing. Looks like it may have just been a blockage as I tilted the motor right up and blew down the pee hole. But now with the boat out of the water I put her in gear (forward) (motor off) and it's like its slipping. When I put it in reverse there doesn't seem to be any probs. When I put the muffs on and run her she goes into both forward and reverse no probs. Different story with a load on in the water. Have I sheared something inside or could it be worse? Many thanks in advance

"Hi Jamie, I'm still tryin

"Hi Jamie, I'm still trying to work out the year of this 70hp yami. The dealer I bought it from lied to me. The numbers on the tag are 70BETO and under that is 6H3 UL730347 and down in the bottom right corner there is the letter D by itself."

Sounds like mid to late 90&#39

Sounds like mid to late 90's Are you describing putting the engine into gear and rotating the prop one way then the other? if so the prop will ratchet in forward but wont in reverse

Thats it exactly. So it's

Thats it exactly. So it's supposed to ratchet if I turn the prop by hand forward. is that what you are saying?

Back