Logo

175HP200HP upgrade

orrsome

"BF175A My engine is a 2002 mo

"BF175A My engine is a 2002 model. I've done 450hrs in it. Of course well out of warranty now, but an excellent motor and has never missed a beat. Just keen to up the HP a little to help get out of hole when I'm loaded up with scuba divers. My dealer, unfortunately closed down. told me that I could increase HP to 200 without much difficulty. Would any of you know how this is actually done? Much appreciated, cheers Don"

Honda does not make a 175HP fo

Honda does not make a 175HP for the United States. It makes a 150HP then a 200HP. Two totally different engines. The 150 is a four cylinder and the 200 is a 6 cylinder.

"Thanks Mike. This makes a lo

"Thanks Mike. This makes a lot more sense as I could not find anything written up on the 175HP which is a detuned 200HP V6 3.5L that you are speaking of. I can only hope one of the readers knows the answer. I started life off with a 130HP 4 cylinder before they bought out the V6 models, just assumed the rest of the world got the same model. Whereas the 150HP came later for us in New Zealand and of course provides a better selection across the band. This 175 I have is really a fabulous commercial donk being well under spec'd. Much appreciated cheers Don."

"However, the Honda 175 has th

"However, the Honda 175 has the same bore and stroke and the same displacement as the BF 200 and BF 225. All are based on the Honda J35A3 engine. So I guess it is possible to boost the horsepower to that of a 200 or 225. But have no idea how to do it. Definitely would require a new ECM. Have no idea what else would be involved."

Thanks guys really appreciate

Thanks guys really appreciate your input. I had suspected a replacement of ECM unit and maybe just a retune for air mix. My guess is the ECM just needs a chip replacement based on the fact the 175 is a detuned 200. Had a look at the Honda parts URL but not a lot of info on ECM models. Will be chatting with my new service guy who's supporting Honda Boat Race team here in NZ which probably means he's across the Fuel Injection electronics and as you said we could compare part numbers to see what the differences are. I had the feeling that the service boys here already knew how to do this.....so I'll wait until I take my OB in for its 450hr service and have a chat with local techs. Once again many thanks for your thoughts. Cheers Don

"Don
I believe the 175 had/ha

"Don
I believe the 175 had/have lower unit(gearbox) problems, so you might want to reconsider upping th HP."

I'll take that as good adv

I'll take that as good advice Bob. If it puts more stress on gearbox I'm more than happy to sit tight and review when it comes to OB replacement time. Thanks Don

Back