Logo

Oil removal

firepiper

Contributing Member
"1989 cru-454 w/ alum oil pan.

"1989 cru-454 w/ alum oil pan. Dipstick reads full, great pressure, never have to add oil. At the end of season, use a pump down the dipstick to remove oil. I can only get a little over 1 gal, (4+ quarts). I think I remember putting in 7 or 8. The engines are tipped toward the drain, (angled) and the dipstick tube goes to the bottom of the pan. Am I missing something? Am I leaving spent oil in the pan by doing it this way? I know there will be some in the filter but not that much. Confused, please help!!"

I just did both of mine (s

I just did both of mine (same engine and year) for the first time. I was expecting to get more out too but only added 5 quarts at most.

I'm sure of that because my Pella pump only holds 5 qts so I was expecting to stop/empty and pump up again. I did them both hot....

Bob

"I know when I do my oils, I h

"I know when I do my oils, I have about 5qt come out. There is some terminal oil that will remain in u-cooler, oil lines, and filter. Adds up to possibly 1 quart. I think the line to and back is about 60" long ea. and also have a remote oil filter.

The short answer is yes but EXACTLY why...there is my guess."

"On Chryslers, the dip stick a

"On Chryslers, the dip stick assembly can be removed from the block (there's a threaded fitting). This allows a thin, steel tube with a slight angle to it to go in the hole and "search about" for oil left behind.

Since my engines hold 6 quarts--and I got 11 1/2 out of them last week--this system works well.

Jeff"

"I've never got 5 qt out w

"I've never got 5 qt out with my pump, using the dipstick tube. Probably just about a gallon but I never have measured it to be honest. another qt in the filter. Usually use two 5Qt and two 1Qt bottles to refill and so far, its been adequate. Yes, there is some residual but it won't hurt anything unless it is contanminated."

"I use a larger hose OVER the

"I use a larger hose OVER the dipstick tube and vacuum it out. It takes 7 quarts, with the large filter. The dipstick says maybe 1/4" over full after I put in 7."

Try what Diver Dave said. I st

Try what Diver Dave said. I started doing that way years ago and works MUCH better. Get a hoes or I use an adaptor from an hand pump that fits perfect over dipstick and then onto suction hose. I usually get about 5-6 qts and then figure another 1/2 to 1 qt out of filter.

"I found it doesn't mmake

"I found it doesn't mmake any difference between a hose over the dipstick tube or the thin one going down into it. Once you get air, you aren't going to get much more oil.

Also, exactly how much oil it takes to get to the full mark will vary due to the installed angle of the engine which is hul specific."

With twin engines I rigged lin

With twin engines I rigged lines from the bottom of each oil pan drain plug to a central bulkhead mounted 12V oil removal pump. Each line has a shut-off ball cock so that I can remove oil from whatever engine I choose.

I also set up the same system for my Westerbeke and it too has a line from the bottom of the oil pan to it's own dedicated bulkhead mounted 12V oil removal pump.

And as we all know ...... pumping out oil is easier and the pumps are more efficient when done with the oil warm/hot.

Works well.

"Thanks everyone. Today I pull

"Thanks everyone. Today I pulled one of the dipstick tubes and the threaded elbow on the oil pan. I got, maybe, 1 1/2 cups more. I don't think its really worth the effort. Next oil change, perhaps I'll dump a quart of oil in after I suck the rest out, then, suck out that quart. Again, thanks for the input. Mark"

"Mark, Mark... You did it righ

"Mark, Mark... You did it right, so why go backwards? It's not that hard to pull that threaded coupling out, is it? After all, you don't want to leave all that dirty oil in there.

Don: Yours is the way to go, you lucky devil! One would think Crusader and other would simply provide such a setup on all of their engines.

Jeff"

"I have a tube that slips over

"I have a tube that slips over the dip stick. I run that tube to a pump. I pump out 7 qts. I change the filter (holds about 1 quart) and put 8 quarts back in. The dipstick shows full. If you put 8 qts in you have to get 8 qts out, assuming you are not burning or leaking it. If you don't it will be over full the next time you put 8 qts in.

There is an old Chemical Engineering equation that is the basis of material balance. It states that input minus output equals accumulation.

Chuck Hanson"

Back