Logo

Day 1 up in smoke

dave_58

"Hi Guys, couldn’t be newer to

"Hi Guys, couldn’t be newer to boating so please excuse the vague description.
Recently purchased a 2001 Maxum 2100sc fitted with 5Ltr V8 Mercruiser & Alpha One stern drive, 148 run hours.
Launched the boat for the first time yesterday, started without a problem, left idling for a few minutes to warm up then with temps and pressures all looking good backed out from the jetty. Engaged forward gear and slowly brought the boat up on the plane. Boat was on the plane for less than a minute when smoke could be seen coming from the engine bay. Throttled back, put boat in neutral and carefully lifted engine cover, smoke appeared to be coming from the back of the engine bay rather than from the engine itself. Engine temp, lube pressure checked all ok, felt the exhaust risers and they were not hot, smoke quickly cleared with the engine idling in neutral. Decided to return to the jetty, when forward gear was selected a rough rumbling sound was heard which I think was coming from the stendrive. Put boat in reverse and again similar noise was heard. On the way back to the jetty noted the sound was more pronounced when the steering wheel was hard over to either side, also noted the extent of the noise / vibration altered depending how the drive was trimmed. Once tied up checked engine oil level which was ok, noted maybe a couple of gallons of water (slight oil content) in the bilge. Plan to contact a Mercruiser dealer tomorrow but any heads up on likely cause much appreciated."

Sounds like water in the bello

Sounds like water in the bellows took out the gimbal bearing.
Was any service performed prior to the sale?
Was a test drive offered ot taken?

"Hi Bt thanks for quick respon

"Hi Bt thanks for quick response, from the posts I've read suspected either the gimbal or the U joints, take it both require major stripdown. Unable to test drive as bought in Florida and shipped to me in Scotland."

"Smoke will either be from a b

"Smoke will either be from a burned exhaust hose or a failed coupler. Water would make me lean toward an exhaust hose although cool risers don't support this. I have never seen a gimbal bearing create smoke but I guess it is possible although if it went that fast you should have heard some noise, even at low speed."

"I've seen a coupler smoke

"I've seen a coupler smoke, but was do to failed front engine mount on an inline 4"

Guess it's still screwed.

Guess it's still screwed. Will let you know what's found at strip down. Thanks
for the input.

i will put my 2 cents in same

i will put my 2 cents in same thing happened to me it was in a 4 cyl smoken and smelled like burning rubber it was the gimbel bearing.

Back