Logo

5 Hp 4 stroke honda outboard reverse throttle issues

gkirk

"I have a 5 hp honda 4 stroke

"I have a 5 hp honda 4 stroke outboard, Its ran fine for month, Recently i had problems shifting it into reverse, we fixed that. Now we have a problem with getting it to throttle in reverse. It wont throttle what so ever in reverse, You have to take the cover off the top and do it yourself. Im not extremly experienced in fixing outboards, Much less motors. I have no idea what is wrong or how to fix it, Resolutions would be extremly appreciated, Along with that problem, The motor runs fine - Until i put the cover on then it dead stops, Its an air problem obviously, And i need to know how to fix it. Thanks you can contact me instantly on MSN - [email protected]"

"#1 No throttle in reverse...

"#1 No throttle in reverse...you may want to first revisit how you fixed the shifting into reverse problem. They may be related. When the 5HP is shifted into neutral or reverse, a cam controlled by the shifter limits throttle advance. If you affected the cam when you fixed the shifting problem, you may have a few more adjustments to do.

If you need to adjust the throttle, you have to remove the pull start mechanism. The adjustment is beneath it.

For a little motor, this thing has a lot of things to adjust. I would recommend purchasing a repair manual. It will give you all the adjustment specs and pictures.

#2 Does not run with cover on...
There is a crankcase breather hose that goes from under the flywheel down the port side of the motor through the casing. Make sure that is clear of debris or mud dobber nests or even spider nests.
If that is all clear, the most likely problem, if your engine has any years on it, is an exhaust leak. Could be a leaky head gasket or more likely one of the several gaskets/orings under the powerhead. You will have to remove the powerhead to change them.

It is not difficult to remove, but again I highly recommend a repair manual, so you can get everything back together correctly. Also, take several pictures especially when you remove the throttle linkages.

The Honda website for the Honda repair manual is http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?session=2219391E697F40D9A809AC3A5B6B5774& Style=helm&Mfg=AHP&Make=MAR&Model=OUTB&Year=&Category=1&Keyword=&Module=&selecte d%5Fmedia=

Clymers also makes a manual, but I do not know how much detail it shows for the 5 HP. I only use the Honda Manuals."

Back