Logo

Lubricating Apha 1 Bell Housing Swivel Pins

captngoderich

"Good day,
I would appreciate

"Good day,
I would appreciate any hints on how to grease the upper and lower swivel pins in the Alpha 1 bell housing, 1990 vintage.
The Mercruiser Alpha "Operation and Maintenance Manual" states " Lubricate upper swivel pin, both hinge pins and gimbal bearing with 2-4-C Marine Lubricant".
Well for the life of me I can't find anyway to get grease into the upper swivel pin.
From the manual it sounds like the lower pin does not need lubrication?
The other parts have obviuous grease fittings and get liberally greased.... but the swivel pins are a mystery!

Thanks for any and all advice.

__________________"

"Afternoon Guy,
Thanks for th

"Afternoon Guy,
Thanks for the great link. Unfortunatly my gimbal housing doesn't have any grease fitting at the top area, above the decal, as shown? Not sure if I should attempt to drill and tap one in, little scary, but it is Halloween!!"

"The upper pin should really h

"The upper pin should really have the fitting but merc decided it was more profitable to sell you more parts. One can easily be added. I install then on GEN II drives when i can. Carefully locate the hole so its in the center of the bushing, drill the first hole for a zerk fitting 1/4 inch deep., finish drilling with a small bit into the bushing, tap for the zerk fitting thread"

Bob:

Your OD must be at lea

Bob:

Your OD must be at least a 1991 or newer Alpha Gen. II. The Bt Dr is right about the zerk grease fitting. It's not difficult to drill and install one. Go look at sombody else's boat to see where it is located and measure for it.

Back