Logo

Honda 90F wont start after being trimmed out whilst running

missbhave

I was trolling around at 2500r

I was trolling around at 2500rpm driving from the flybridge when one of the clients downstairs sat on the trim button and timmed the left engine all the way out of the water. As I heard the engine come out and over rev I shut down the throttle and it stalled out. The engine will not start now although there is spark and it cranks over....I'm told there may be some master reset button that I should press but I am really not sure.....any help would be much appreciated. cheers

"Is this a carburated or fuel

"Is this a carburated or fuel injected 90?

Neither have a "reset" button. However, the fuel injected model has more fuses than the carburated version and one could have blown.

If it is carburated, you said you have spark and it cranks...that leaves compression and fuel. However, double check the safety landyard to be sure the ignition is working ok.

Crack open one of the carburator drains and see if you can pump fuel through with the fuel bulb.

On both types of engines...make sure the fuel line did not come partially disconnected from the engine. That could block fuel from getting to the engine.

Other than that...check the compression to be sure that some harm did not occur to the engine when it rev'd up.

Do not continually crank on the engine more than a few seconds at a time. The starters burn out easily with continued cranking."

Thanks a bunch mike this site

Thanks a bunch mike this site is very helpfull. The mechanic who is trying to figure it out works only only on yamaha as they are the only dealers outhere in Kenya. I will pass this on and see if he can figure it out. He says the compression's is good and thinks that the problem is something small.... Like you say it sounds like a fuel problem...... Unfortunately water was found in the fuel filters so maybe that may have something to do with it........ anyway will see....
thanks again.

"Hi - still no joy.
We did co

"Hi - still no joy.
We did compression test on both engines:

Problem engine:
1. 120 psi
2. 130 psi
3. 100 psi
4. 100 psi

Good engine:
1. 100 psi
2. 145 psi
3. 100 psi
4. 105 psi

I have swopped complete set carbs over, swopped plugs, fuel pumps, coils, switch boxes, harnesses and still no luck - Everything from problem engine works fine on other engine.

Help!!!!!"

"Although the compression does

"Although the compression does not look that great on # 3 and #4, while you are swopping everything on the engine, there are two other major items...

1. The pickups under the flywheel

2. The cabling and keyswitch, etc between the engine and the helm.

The easiest thing to do would be to connect the wiring harness from the helm to the good engine over to the bad engine. It is the cable with the round 14 pin connector. That way, you eliminate any issues with the wiring to the key switch.

...Which reminds me of one other thing. My boss brought in a boat with a Honda to service and backed it under one our shelters to work on and it was a very tight fit. He could not get the motor to run. I checked and checked. It had some different wiring to the keyswitch. Finally used a keyswitch that we had in stock and the motor ran. His keyswitch tested good. After all night of pondering over circuits, I went to work the next day and looked at the boat a little closer. It was a small boat, but it had a second level. I found that there was a kill switch (without a safety landyard on it). That was the problem...

Any possiblity that there is a kill switch without a safety landyard on your flying bridge?
Maybe you pulled it when the engine was overreving??? Any other switch that may have gotten damaged up there?

Once again, if you flip the boat wiring harness at the engines, it may clear things up..."

Back