Logo

To winterize or not not to winterize

slauder

Regular Contributor
Yea yea that's the questio

Yea yea that's the question... But really guys and gals I'm not sure... I am down state NY and at marina that has power all year and I will be next to the police boat that is operating all year so they keep breaking ice... Thinking to put my oil filled electric heater in engine room and turn her over every three weeks... I have 2 year micron paint and zincs are good now... What am I missing other then $ if I choose

"That could work if the winter

"That could work if the winter is mild.

Just think of what could happen when the good old Northeaster blows in and the Ice Storm that follows takes out the power and makes the roads impassable for 48 hours. If the marina is within walking distance and you have a generator, you make escape unscathed.

You still need to address the fuel and the fresh water system if installed."

"I could walk and the generato

"I could walk and the generator would be on the boat and I'm not going away this winter... However, might not be quite the saving... as I only save antifreeze and fogging spray... I'll most likly fish into december and layup in water for a 2-3 months... Thinking about pulling batteries or not? If I keep them on charger will the cold ruin them... 4Ds heavy"

"I'm north of the border a

"I'm north of the border and I have two 12V for starting and two 8Ds at about 185 - 200 lbs each. Leave them all in the boat all winter....all disconnected. As I start to recommission I put a trickle charger on all of them...never had a problem and prior to "trickling" them they are normally above 12.8V.

Whether you leave any battery in your boat will depend on the general condition of the batteries, how old, and what is the Voltage when you "shut-down"."

"I leave my 4D gelcells in and

"I leave my 4D gelcells in and have for past 13 years (and the LA versions before) and never had an issue. Usually run the charger during the visit in Jan & Feb (once a month, maybe 6 hours).

Those things are heavy and I'm not staying young."

"I go thru this thought every

"I go thru this thought every seasons end. We fish( we don't catch a lot and thats not the point )but most of the marinas tell us they want to be done pulling boats by Thanksgiving. IF that leaves us "stranded" (so to speak) and we wind up with the scene Mark describes...are we screwed? Will we be able to find a place that has a spot for us, are we limited to their schedule and restrictions ...are they operating or in Florida? Found a nice marina at a good price in Toms River but you cannot do your own work! Never NOT done our own work.

Of course, the last 2 years when we had 60 degree weather in January, we beat ourselves up thinking that we could have been out in the water reeling in SOMETHING, so every year so far we have hauled."

"Jeeze Al,it is called fishing

"Jeeze Al,it is called fishing because they would call it catching if it were easy!
lol.gif

My wife say's I need to start useing dynamite when I go fishing, or at least stop at the fish market on the way home."

my town dock marina has a 30 p

my town dock marina has a 30 per foot rate for winter in water (with good electric).

well i'm staying in the water all year (have 2 year paint and change zincs with dive tank)...

looks like I will fog and run pink for a short winter leaving batteries in and trickle charge.

let you know if i catch any black fish in December.

thanks

"Paul...I was watching some fi

"Paul...I was watching some fishing show after ShipShape last Saturday (rain) and these guys cut a hole in the ice. In a few minutes they pull up a monster northern pike that would feed 6! I used to drive across Rouses Point, NY and they were fishing Lake Champlain at -20 or better ...Never tried it

Scott, that is about what we paid for dry storage and blocking the last few years and we were able to do almost anything we needed to on the boat. Gates were locked and owners have a combination for any time access. I am interested in your outcome"

"Al,
I think the good old mar

"Al,
I think the good old marinas with the "let you do what ever you want" days are gone for downstate NY. I got a marina I use ever other year at 65 a foot, but they must do the bottom paint and if you plastic wrap they control that too. 16 per foot for labor on the painting and it was another 650 for the wrap job...

and my tiara that is a 1991 3100 with a LOA of 33.9 in the book has been measured to be 35 foot which is used to bill me...

at least they let me do all the rest and the last owner didnt sell to a developer that would make condos...

PS I'll send up an update on some black fish i catch..."

"Unless you are licenced to ap

"Unless you are licenced to apply pesticide commercially by the NY DEC and have a registered pesticide business, the yard has to do it for you.
NYS DEC pesticide business registration $900 for 3 years
commercial pesticide insurance- required for registration, not cheap
NYS DEC pesticide licence $450 for 3 years
NYS DEC recertification credits needed to keep licence- time and money

Another reason doing business in NYS sucks"

"When I lived in Vermont, ther

"When I lived in Vermont, there is no such thing as a Certificate of Occupany, electrical or plumbing permits or inspections. If you're gonna build it yourself, or buy it or live there, they figure you'll make sure its ok to live in on your own !

I'd have to think how much more all that adds up to own a boat in NY. I'd have to give up desserts.
wink.gif
"

".."When I lived in Vermon

".."When I lived in Vermont, there is no such thing as a Certificate of Occupany, electrical or plumbing permits or inspections. If you're gonna build it yourself, or buy it or live there, they figure you'll make sure its ok to live in on your own!"

Neat. Considering that Leftist wackos have taken over that one sane state, I'll bet that's no longer the case.

Jeff"

Back