Logo

280 drive steering sloppy

scgck

1981 280 drive rotates side to

1981 280 drive rotates side to side about 10 degrees with no aparent movement of steering linkage. Where to start? Thanks

"I'd start at helmet-to-tr

"I'd start at helmet-to-transmission connection (15).
Then look to see that both helmet hinge pins are in tact and tight (8)... including the jam nuts.
Make sure that the helmet (13) is not cracked.

Then check and see if the collar steering fork (2) bushings (11 & 12) have excessive play in them.
Check to see if the collar steering fork has dropped down any!

Now look at the spindle arm (47) on the inside of the transom shield, and the arm's pinch connection to the collar steering fork.
See if the pinch bolt (48) has become loose!
Use only a six point socket or wrench on the pinch bolt head when tightening it!

http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7744020-44-17953.as px"

"Yes, but is an unlikely suspe

"Yes, but is an unlikely suspect, IMO.

Bushings #11 and #12 and the spindle arm #47 "pinch bolt" being loose, are more likely to be your culprits.

."

Thanks Ricardo . Bushings 11 a

Thanks Ricardo . Bushings 11 and 12 do have some play in them but 15A is definately worn out.Have you had any luck removing 15A without a special tool? HEAT? punch and hammer? cut in several places? Also can 11 and 12 be replaced without removing steering yolk #2 ? Thanks

"The collar steering fork must

"The collar steering fork must be removed in order to install these bushings.

If the helmet pin bushing is loose in the helmet, and needs to be replaced, my bet would be that there is corrosion at these threads and loss of integrity there.
I'd recommend that you find a good used helmet with the correct bushing for your style helmet pin (single or double bolt style).

."

"Thanks Ricardo, I'll try

"Thanks Ricardo, I'll try to remove it first as the rest of the helmet is in good shape. Can the collar steering fork be removed with the outdrive in place , or drop down far enough to replace bushings 11 and 12 ?"

"Chris, you are welcome as alw

"Chris, you are welcome as always!

I often hear; "with the out drive in place"..... or "with the out drive removed".
What does that mean?
How much of the Out Drive in place or removed?

This "Out Drive" is a <u>three part unit!</u>
A "Transmission", an "Intermediate Housing" and a "Lower Unit"! (and of course, the suspension fork, etc.)

The trans and lower can always be removed without involving the removal of the Intermediate Housing. Unless hinge pin bushings and/or pivot tube removal is necessary, there's really no need to remove the Intermediate!

Yes Chris, to answer your question re; dropping the fork and replacing the two bushings and the "V" ring seal........ I'd remove the transmission ONLY for this work and make life easy for myself! (4 new O-rings, one gasket, re-install oil.... done!)

."

"Thanks again Ricardo, I had t

"Thanks again Ricardo, I had the transmission off about four months ago to change the drive bellows. I wish I knew then what I know now. Anyway that is good to know. BTW I was able to remove the pivot pin bushing ( 15A ) from the helmet by cutting it in four pieces. You were right as far as there was corrosion between the threads and it never would have turned out. Fortunately 90% of the threads are still good shape and I should be able to install a new bushing. Thanks again!"

"Ok, Glad that you got it out.

"Ok, Glad that you got it out.
FYI, you may want to use the appropriate loc-tite product (and the loc-tite primer) when installing the new bushing."

One more question reguarding

One more question reguarding instalation of pivot pin bushing 15A. The parts diagram shows this bushing installed with the shoulder out (threaded in from the top). The one I removed was threaded in from the inside (shoulder inside the helmet) previously installed wrong? or diagram not correct?

Notice that the schematic show

Notice that the schematic shows two styles of helmet pins and bushings.........(the helmet is different also)
* 270/280 single screw style......
* 275 and later double bolt helmet pin style.

**The large bushing for the double bolt helmet pin installs from the inside.
**The smaller bushing for the single screw helmet pin installs from the outside.

That was fast! It's a doub

That was fast! It's a double bolt pin so the bushing was installed correctly and thats the way the new one will be also.
Thanks for the support Ricardo.
You're up late!

"All bushings ( 11 ,12 ,6

"All bushings ( 11 ,12 ,6 , 15a )installed and steering tightened up considerably. FYI I was able to drop the steering fork out with the transmission installed. Just enough room ! Thanks for all your help on this project."

"Well good, Chris!
I'll

"Well good, Chris!
I'll bet changing the bronze bushing # 6 while still in the hull was not fun! (I rarely see those go bad enough to warrant changing one!)

BTW, just an FYI here....... Volvo Penta's schematic for an AQ 225 or 260 (shown in that link) will actually be of an earlier AQ 200B. While it does show # 6 bushing and the correct "spindle arm" for the later engines, it does not show any of the other bell-crank steering components.
It also shows a single exhaust relief Y pipe and transom shield that was used only on the earlier engines!
This can be confusing for someone looking for 225/260 parts!

."

"I guess I got ahead of myself

"I guess I got ahead of myself in that I have not changed the #6 bushing yet but do have the replacement in my tool box for next trip to the boat. This 280 is connected to a AQ145A but it seems the P/N 850653 is the same. I,ll let you know how it turns out."

Back