Logo

BMW mark 2 stern drive

paulrik

"Hi all,

think I have done

"Hi all,

think I have done the universal joint in the stern drive. I have the workshop manual and I am in the process of removing the leg, but have come up against a problem.
I have removed the 6mm lock screws for the hydralic pivot but cannot remove the pin. Is there a trick to removing this pin? Does this need to be pressed out?
Have applied plenty of wd-40 and even applied heat but doesn't even look like moving.
Any suggestions appreciated as I cannot remove the leg till I resolve this.

Paul"

"Hi Paul,
when you say tilt p

"Hi Paul,
when you say tilt pin do you mean the 2 rams with the pin that goes through the back bracket as marked in the photo.
if it is support the leg with wood under the skeg try and keep the leg straight. take the bolt and washer off, then use a socket extension bar to hammer the pin through. it goes ok because the hole is lined with a nylon sleeve, keep the bar centered when you are hammering so as not to mark the sleeve. if you do mark it a quick rub to take the burr off with fine emery paper and lightly grease it when you put it back together.

i used the same method to remove the 2 side tilt pins, one is the sensor, stb side, they are tight to remove but hammer them through with the leg supported at the skeg again. i did the sensor side first, when you hammer it through it is very tight and forced into the belows but it goes. you need to turn the leg enough to expose the sensor cover. then do the same for the other side these are in a nylon sleeve again. they will not move unless the the 2 bolts that are in the clamp on the inside are completely removed, when you get the pins ot you'll see the recesses in the pins that align with the pins when they go back in, the pins are a tight fit so don't be frightened to smack them.
i couldn't release the u joint and had to go away so it went back together without changing any parts, i need to do it over the winter.
best of luck

Paul

couple of links if you don't already have them

in the parts catalogue pages , 27/3 and 27 4/1 shows you the assembly make up

stern drive here
http://www.bmwmarine.net/brochures.htm

parts here
http://www.bmwmarine.net/manuals/BMWB130B190B220.PDF

295915.jpg

295916.jpg

295917.jpg
"