Logo

Volvo Penta Prop Slippage

anitab

"I have a 1984 Bayliner Ciera

"I have a 1984 Bayliner Ciera that while travelling at approximately 25 knots that the engine revved and it felt like the prop came loose. After stopping was able to idle fast only, when throttle increased it feels like the prop cavitates or slips and it revs up. Prop seems tight, similar to when an automatic transmission goes out."

"Install your SPARE "get-m

"Install your SPARE "get-me-home" propeller of the same diameter/pitch, and see what happens!

It's the ole "P of E" (process of elimination) one item.... and one item at a time only until you find the problem!

."

"Looks like the prop is spinni

"Looks like the prop is spinning on the hub. To check for this, remove the prop and make a mark in the bub, then another one in the prop that lines up with the other mark, then install the prop in the drive and take the boat for a run. If/when the symptoms occur again, make it back to port and remove the prop and check both marks: if no longer aligned, you know what the problem is. The fix will be simple: you will have to either re-hub the prop or get another one."

Back