Logo

50 Winterize

neversummer

Regular Contributor
"This board has been very help

"This board has been very helpful, thanks to all for the support. I am going to winterize my 1989 5.0 mercruiser (GM I think) and typically use the old pink antifreeze through the muffs technique, as it has worked well in the past. After I run the antifreeze through, should I also pull the drain plugs in the block / manifold? My understanding is that there are 5 plugs in this engine, two on block, two on manifolds, 1 for power steering cooler (I dont know where or what the cooler looks like.)I have also heard that it makes sense to pour some antifreeze down the large house at the thermostat housing...Is this just the biggest hose of the 4 that i believe meet at the T-stat housing?"

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
295619.jpg
"

I have the Tahoe Q6 with merc

I have the Tahoe Q6 with merc 5.0 and need to put my mind at ease. I winterized last week and have a couple of questions. I poured a/f down the 2 hoses marked in green going to the exhaust manifolds. That all ends up in the block correct? I also poured a bunch into the large hose going into the waterpump. That also goes into the block correct. I poured a total of 4 gallons. am I safe? Ps. All the a/f was pored in after draining and reinserting the drain plugs. thanks in advance.

John:

Four gals. is more th

John:

Four gals. is more than enough. Did much A/F ended up on the ground?

"Just the stuff that came out

"Just the stuff that came out of the outdrive when I poured a quart or so down the seawater intake line. I just wanted to make sure it all ended up in the block, thru the hoses I mentioned earlier . Thanks"

"You guys sure werent kidding

"You guys sure werent kidding about the amount of water that comes out of the block and exhaust manifold drain holes. After I only saw a trickle when I removed the blue and brass drain plugs, I stuck a flat headed screw driver up there to loosen all the rust and holy smokes, a lot of water came out!"

"The hoses for the manifolds f

"The hoses for the manifolds feed just the manifolds,you drain them first, ,then pour the A/F in untill it comes out the exaust.

The big hose from the top of the water pump, drain block first, install plugs, pour A/F in the hose untill it comes out the therm housing

The water inlet hose, pour A/F in there or remove the drive and blow some shop vac air thru it."

"You men say to open the manif

"You men say to open the manifold drains but why not just take the hose off the 90* fitting at the bottom? Thank you, Bob"

Back