Logo

Trim problems 1990 75 hp

mheien

Hello I have a 1990 75hp Merc tiller. It has the twin shock set up on the trim and tilt. It has been bogging down both directions but not all the time. It does it with either trim button (there is one mounted on the boat) I checked the oil level and it wasn't visable so I topped it off with power steering fluid (maybe 3-4 tablespoons was all it took) Now I realize I should have used ATF and was wondering if there was a way to drain the fluid and put in fresh? Can you drain it by blocking the motor up and completely unscrewing the manual trim screw? I'm sure the fluid is 1990 vintage and was wondering if new fluid may help? Thanks for any help!

"Draining and putting new won&

"Draining and putting new won't help the problem. All the the trim tabs do is: pushes fluid through a piston which forces whatever its pushing out. So as long as theirs fluid in it, it should run properly. If not there might be something wrong with the motor itself..."

"Hello,
I have a 150 1986 bla

"Hello,
I have a 150 1986 black max. It has the round electric motor for the power tilt/trim with twin shock set up. I checked the fluid levels and the solenoid's seem to be operating sending power to the motor. The problem i am having is, the motor is making excess noise when tilting it up and down. Also the motor will "Cut-Out" and not operate at all. Then after a few minutes it will work again. I touched the motor case and it seemed to be warm but not very hot. Does this sound like a bad motor?
Thanks for your help"

"Having the exact same problem

"Having the exact same problem and the boat shop said it is probably carbon build on the brushes of the motor and the motor will need striping and cleaning, which is a pig of a job at the best of times. Going to have a crack at it in the southern hemisphere winter"

"Hi M Heien,power steering flu

"Hi M Heien,power steering fluid is usually the same as ATF,so no problem using it.you cant unscrew the manual release screw,unless you remove the circlip first.wouldnt advise it.my manual says to completely raise the motor then add oil[Hyspin 32]or merc oil,to the trim unit.then put cap on and try it.if nogo,you will have to remove unit and dismantle.[marine shop].Same with when motor gets hot and stops working.these are sealed units,so any faults,usually means reconditioning,or exchange unit,like yr auto trans in yr car"

Back