Logo

Oil

vikingtime

Contributing Member
"Changing the oil, first year

"Changing the oil, first year with this boat. It has 1986 twin 454 7.4L, 1600 hours, 20,000lb vessel. Long Island, NY temperatures- (get's pulled out in a few weeks).

Looking for recommendations on what oil to use (brand and weight). Tons of opinions I'm sure, hoping to get a consensus or narrow it down to a few options.

Thanks!"

"I'd agree with multi-viz

"I'd agree with multi-viz synthetic, anyplace north of orlando. Actually, after using HD40 straight for decades, I may switch to amsoil 10w40. They have one with high zinc content. 50w kind of thick, no??"

"I just switched to 20W-50 Mob

"I just switched to 20W-50 Mobil 1 for the boat...I have 217,000+ miles on my 2001 F-150 using pure synthetic...I should not even say this BUT...( you know why) it runs as good as the day I drove it home from the showroom.

Hoping IF any residues are built up in the engine, they may get cleaned out with this next change in November"

"170K+ on a 99 f-150 with

"170K+ on a 99 f-150 with full syn Mobil 1 since first time I changed oil. Cleaner inside the rocker boxes than when I bought it....now, if i can only fix the exhaust manifold.

Wife's minivan 183.5K - Mobil 1"

"answer to the "all" q

"answer to the "all" question if definitely NO.

At what point is High and where is Low? Not trying to be a SA by any means.

Suggest you research your brand of choice and see if it meets your needs.

I think the 'need' for the older engines is more for the "break in" phase. I'm certain that there is less of the zinc compound in the current 15w-50 mobil 1 than was in the 20w-50 that was available when we first switched. I looked it up and the reduction wasn't a lot in absolute terms. Exactly how much should be in an oil for a given engine is something I'm ignorant about. I can say I've never had any cam issues and don't know anyone, personally, that has had an issue with a standard marine class engine."

"Unfortunately, I can't fi

"Unfortunately, I can't find the source for this data. It came off of the internet, must be correct..
lol.gif

API .... P (ppm)...........Zn (ppm)

SE-SJ... 1301 ..............1280
CI-4 ... 1150 ..............1374
SL.......994................1182
CJ-4 ....819 ...............1014
SM ..... 770 ...............939

Either I use SJ or I use an additive, like ZDDP. I did have a cam wipe on my port engine a few years ago. I do see that Pennzoil marine oil is SJ rated, still.

Oh, and to continue with the off-topic section:
365k on my 535i with nothing but 20w-50 castrol dino oil. The sales guy said the engine was still very strong as they drove it into the clunker yard for engine destruction. The head/block never got any major maintenance. The on board computer said average mph of 33, so that = > 11,000 hours."

Back