Logo

Fresh water flush

kevin_z

Regular Contributor
"I have a 1998 5.0 with Alpha

"I have a 1998 5.0 with Alpha one outdrive. Is there a way to flush the engine without using the 'muffs'. Boat is on a lift, so reaching the outdrive to put the muffs on is a real pain in ...."

"Don't worry Guy, I apprec

"Don't worry Guy, I appreciate your humor.

Kevin, there are flush kits available that plumb into your engines cooling system that will allow you to flush without connecting to the drive. Just remember that with an Alpha, the pump is in the drive. I have never used on one an Alpha, but there is a good chance you will damage the pump with one of these kits since the water is not going trough the pump.

Anybody here have any experience with one of these systems on an Alpha?"

"With the impellor in the outd

"With the impellor in the outdrive, before messing around with trying other methods I would tend to think along Guy`s lines only maybe suggest a ladder!!
proud.gif
"

"There is a kit (or you ca

"There is a kit (or you can make one) that diverts the drive water Over-Board.
It then supplies the engine with potable water (or salt neutralizing solution) as needed for the flush.
But as Rick suggests.... you do not want to operate the Alpha pump dry.

FYI; Some try to winterize a raw water cooled engine by introducing anti-freeze into your engine by this means. I highly recommend that you DO NOT try this method for winterizing.
For those who understand the coolant path, the thermostat's role, and how it works, you will know what I mean.
Since winter is upon us, I thought that I'd toss that in!
happy.gif

."

Back