Logo

292 Interceptor oil change

phillk

"Hello
1.) Looking to cha

"Hello
1.) Looking to change the oil, plan on changing the filter and using 10W30, any comments?
2.) What type of fuel should be used? Hi octane with lead additive? Would appreciate your comments.
3.) I have a 1960 292 Interceptor with reverse rotation, complete with transmission and carbs. All original. In running order. Right now it is in an 18' composite fiberglass/wood boat. In the spring 2010, if I find that the boat is not worth saving, I will sell the power unit complete. Anyone interested, drop me a line.

Thanks.
Phill Kerridge
Ottawa, Canada
613-298-4564"

"Phil,
1) I would be inte

"Phil,
1) I would be interested in your 292 Interceptor if you decide to sell. Let me know.

2) The manufacturer recommended 30wt so that's what most people use in interceptor motors. Don't know about 10W30.
Since these motors have flat tappets you should use a motor oil with sufficient zinc to lubricate the cam. Shell rotella-T is one brand and there are several others. See posting on cam/oil in this forum.

3) Unless your heads have been reworked with hardened value seats you should use either leaded gas (hard to find) or use a lead additive with regular (87 octane) gas.
Ray"

Back