Logo

97 57 EFI Mercruiser Aplha

mdbinc

I never had winterized my boat

I never had winterized my boat before and I was going to give it a try. I went to drain my engine and a drain plug broke off into my power steering oil cooler. I am unable to get underneath. I was wondering if anyone had any advice how to take off the cooler and remove the parts of a plug that way.

"should just be 1 bolt holding

"should just be 1 bolt holding the cooler onto the side or back of the block, then you can remove the hoses and take it off the boat and work on it. to remove the plug you may have to get a "screw extractor kit" from a hardware store, sears, auto part store, home depot etc.. if you cant remove with that, then it will need to be drilled out and re-tapped. ( can be tapped back to the original size if done carefully )"

"Thanks, it sounds easy. Im go

"Thanks, it sounds easy. Im going to try it. There are a few hose in front of the cooler where I can access it, but I suppose if you take out the 1 bolt the cooler should slide forward or backward. I finished with the thermosat and poured antifreeze into the block, but I didn't see any come out of that hole so will I have to still add more antifreeze when and If I get the cooler off. Thanks Again."

"the bolt tightens the strap o

"the bolt tightens the strap on the cool and that holds the cooler in place is a pain(and typically you cant get to it), it's best to remove the bolt that holds the strap to the block (1/2" i think) then you have move movement to remove hoses and the cooler. - good luck."

"Thank You so much I always ge

"Thank You so much I always get my self into trouble because I think I can do things I can't. But.. I have one more question, can I leave it till spring? I have the end hose off and I poured antifreeze in the motor thru the thermostat. The engine has been fogged and fuel stabilzed and the lower unit drained and filled."

"[b]"can I leave it till s

""can I leave it till spring?"

Ayuh,... Only if you pour antifreeze directly down the hose coming up from the Cooler at the T-Stat Housing...
It'll run Out the drive if you use the Right hose..."

Back