Logo

2004 BF150 Leaking lower unit oil out of prop shaft

miki425

"Hello - I love this site! I&#

"Hello - I love this site! I'm getting a very small amount of lower unit oil leaking out of my BF150 outboard in the prop shaft area. Please see picture here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mdn425/2004HondaBF150LeakInPropShaftArea?authkey=Gv1sRgCLaBk8zpofzqeg#

I fix my own stuff, but would like to get some insider knowledge on this fix. Does anyone have a schematic diagram for this area they could email me at ([email protected]). Or note if its a simple rubber o-ring replacement without having to pull apart shaft? What's the secrete here? Thanks in advance,

Miki
295463.jpg
BF150 leakage

"I highly recommend that you b

"I highly recommend that you buy an official Honda repair manual for what you are about to do.

You have to remove the lower unit from the motor; remove the shift shaft and then remove the prop shaft holder (with the two bolts in the picture) Do not try to pull the prop shaft holder out without removing the shift shaft. If you try, you will eject two ball bearings into the cavity in the front of the forward gear.

There are two seals on the prop shaft. They are easy to replace once you get everything else apart.

You have to press the prop shaft out to get to the seals. There are specific procedures in the manual for reinserting the prop shaft into the holder.

There are several little balls and very small parts that will spring out as you are disassembling the prop shaft assembly. Be very careful... The manual should help you get through it.

Do not try to do it on intuition..."

Mike - thanks for your help! W

Mike - thanks for your help! Would anyone know the part number for those seals? I'd like to pick them up and do the replacement all at the same time.

"The 2 seals are 91252-ZW1-B02

"The 2 seals are 91252-ZW1-B02. You will also need a new o ring the goes around the prop shaft holder (91351-ZY3-003).

When you pull the shift shaft, there is another o ring (91351-zy6-003) around the shift shaft holder that normally swells up after you pull the holder. That is if you can get the shift shaft holder out without distroying it. You may need one of these too.

While you are doing all this, if you have not done so in the past couple of years, you should change the impeller with an impeller repair kit. If the bottom plate or the housing have wear or grooves, it may need a complete rebuild kit.

As you can see, it may be better to take it apart and see what you need before you just buy some of the parts."

"One more thing...

I do not

"One more thing...

I do not know where you are located or how much warranty you have on the motor. The picture looks like the unit is fairly new. If these seals were not cut by fishing line but failed due to a defect...it could be covered under warranty.

If you live in the United States and post your serial number, I can check on the warranty length if you do not already know."

Hi Mike - sorry I was travelli

Hi Mike - sorry I was travelling. Yes can you check on the warranty length for me:

Serial # BEANJ-1004066
Product ID #: BANJ-1003546

Also what is the part number for the impeller and/or impeller kit?

Thank you much!

"If the motor has been purchas

"If the motor has been purchased in the US, it has not been registered in anyones name. The dealer received it in June of 2004. At that time, the Hondas had a three year warranty. So if the original owner purchased it around that time, it is out of warranty.

It does note that there is a recall on the shift arm on your motor. Since it is a safety item, it is still covered and a dealer should do it for free. It is just a small lever where the shift cable connects at the engine. Some of them have broken. Honda is changing them out to minimize any issues.

The part number for the water pump kits are...

06192-ZY6-000 is the number for the impeller kit. Basically, it is an impeller and a couple of gaskets.

06193-ZY6-000 is a complete rebuild kit which includes the housing, impeller, plate, etc."

Mike - ok i got the shop manua

Mike - ok i got the shop manual and removed the shift shaft. I also removed the two bolts holding the prop shaft (as in picture above). I tried to pry the prop shaft holder off using the indented slots on them and even carefully applied a little hammer force and flat head screw driver to the slot but no movement. The instructions do not say anything about removing the large vertical shaft. Does it require more hammer force to knock loose? Do you recall being that difficult to pry loose?

"Hi Miki,
When that prop seal

"Hi Miki,
When that prop seal fails, it quite often is fishing line that takes it out and if you look closely, that thrust washer will be scored as well and it will need replacement. Yes the prop shaft holder can be a bit sticky to get out. I have used that thrust washer, with the prop nut threaded on the shaft, to gain purchase to "tap" on the assembly to loosen it up. The main thing here is patience and perseverance. You do not want to drive too much on those slotted areas and booger them up as you will need them at a later date on another repair. Don't mean to get in between you and Mike but I'm basically a butt-insky and just trying to help. Good luck."

"Thanks Jim. I'll try your

"Thanks Jim. I'll try your suggested use of the thrust washer and prop nut threaded on the shaft to further leverage the "tapping/banging". I just wanted confirmation that there is nothing else further north of the prop shaft that needs to be removed (outside of the shift shaft). Everytime I bang that hammer, I have a sickening feeling :)"

"Generally prying with two scr

"Generally prying with two screwdrivers at the same time does the job.

If you do not have much luck with your banging, you may want to use a torch to heat up the area where they meet.

If you are in salt water, that is probably what you will have to do."

"Ok...gotta punt to the profes

"Ok...gotta punt to the professional (to the dealer). I tried torching the area and pounding on the back of the nut on prop shaft... but not a budge, no hair-line movement. I hate to give up, but I'm at my limit and can't go further. I'll update once I get more news. Thankyou again!
335086.jpg
Honda 1"">
335087.jpg
Honda 2

Back