Logo

Starter Removal

neversummer

Regular Contributor
1989 Mercruiser 5.0 litre has

1989 Mercruiser 5.0 litre has always started right up until recently---last few times out I have turned the key and hear only single click at the slave solenoid.

At first I thought (hoped)it might just be the slave solenoid but starts right up when I turn the key and a friend simultaneously gives the starter a tap tap with a hammer.

Any techniques for removing the starter? I have heard it is just a few bolts but the thing is waaay down in the bilge...any thoughts would be appreciated!

"yup just 2 bolts, a breaker b

"yup just 2 bolts, a breaker bar can help with the reach with a 12point socket, ( though 6 point is stronger ), should be a hanger there to.. leave that till last so it doesn't drop on you, also disconnect the battery first."

"Due to the high number of tur

"Due to the high number of turns on a wrench to back the bolts out, I found it fastest to break the bolts loose with a wrench, then use a low speed air rachet (not impact wrench) to actually remove the bolts. Replacement is the reverse."

"Thanks for the advice guys. I

"Thanks for the advice guys. I may get to it this fall, may wait for next spring. I figure I will remove the batteries from their compartment on the starboard side to give myself better access down there, but its going to be a tight squeeze and probably a "no-see" job i think"

"I have replaced many a starte

"I have replaced many a starter in many a bost that were designed for MIGGITS!!

I go 6'+ and 220 lbs and believe me it can be one of the hardest jobs to do.

Get a deep dish 6 point 9/16 socket. get a 2-3 inch 3/8" extension and rachet. Feel ahead of time with your hands and get a feel where they are.
One is very tight to the bellhousing cover and it is tight!!

The bolt heads SHOULD be approx 1 inch long so you can get that much of the deep dish socket on good and deep. If they are not, when you get them out go get the long headed bolts.

Take your time and be very patient!!
Disconnect the starter wires and attach a wire hanger to support the starter after the bolts are removed.

The bolts go into the block from directly underneath the starter, in other words towards the motor cover top/sky!"

"Ayuh,... Changing the starter

"Ayuh,... Changing the starter is Easy,...
Getting To it usually Isn't...."

"Believe it or not, on my 268

"Believe it or not, on my 268 Mark Twain, we had to pull the entire engine out to get to the starter. Those two bolts (in the off set bracket) are about 5 or 6" long and would bottom out on the bottom of the bilge. Good luck with yours. Bob"

Back