Logo

How to run engine dry after each use

bookworm

"Sorry if this is a naive ques

"Sorry if this is a naive question but how do you run the engine dry at the end of the day? I normally keep a couple gallons in the tank at all times, except over the winter, when I empty the tank completely. I do add STABIL from time to time in spring, summer and fall. The instructions say to run the engine in neutral for a few seconds before hitting the kill switch, which I do. But I don't see how you run the tank down to fumes at the end of the day without the risk of running out of gas out on the water."

Disconnect the fuel line from

Disconnect the fuel line from the engine and continue to run the engine until it stops on its own. Do not keep fuel in the fuel tank if you can avoid it.

"I have a simple 90 degree shu

"I have a simple 90 degree shut off valve on my hose about three inches from the engine... put the motor in neutral, shut the valve and continue to run until it stops. I saves on the connecton.

Works great... Steve"

"Had my boat out yesterday on

"Had my boat out yesterday on a local lake. As I was approaching the ramp I shut the engine down, disconnected the fuel line, then started the engine again, figuring I'd run it until it was dry. ....Ten minutes later, the engine was still running. So I turned it off and fished a little while longer. When I tried to re-start it this time, it smoked a bit then wouldn't start. I'm assuming that I'd finally used up all the fuel. But the engine ran way longer with the fuel line disconnected than I anticipated. I guess this is normal. But in future if I want to run the engine dry, I'll have to disconnect the fuel line at least ten minutes out from the boat ramp."

Back