Logo

1969 Mercruiser 165

babyduck

"My 69 Mercruiser 165 skips an

"My 69 Mercruiser 165 skips and a marine guy said I need a new distributor, but they arn't made any more can i use an automotive distributor."

"I would NOT go that path. If

"I would NOT go that path. If you don't know why, ask your insurance agent.

You might check around locally and see if you can find a shop that would rebuild it. There should be a few choices in the aftermarket but I wouldn't expect any to be cheap as the demand for those has fallen significantly.

A quick www search showed Ignition Engineering in CA as being capable of doing a full rebuild. You could always call and ask. I'm sure a more thorough search will ID several more options."

"Not only would the automotive

"Not only would the automotive version be an incorrect choice (re; the vacuum advance and housing being non-ignition protected) ...., of equal importance would be that the advance curve may be incorrect for marine use.
Detonation is an enemy of a marine gasser!

A good shop with an old school Sun (or equivalent) distributor machine will be able to re-bush and set/check the advance curve for you.

."

"Personally I would or could g

"Personally I would or could go that rought.

What are the major differences??

1. vacuum advance
2. cap.

3. Maybe the way it engages the oil pump??

Remove the vacuum advance, use a marine Cap and convert to electronic conversion if available. If not use the points.

A skipping may not be the dist. It may be the cap.

If the distributor is bad then the shaft would not be spinning true as the bushings would be egg shaped. This would cause all kinds of running issues as bad as not running.........

I had a '71 Nova 6 banger that I rebiult the distributor myself twice!! it lasted one year each time and failed for the same reason each time ( worn bushings) and left me onthe side of the road because it could not be adjusted anymore.............."

"Michael, the inline 6 marine

"Michael, the inline 6 marine and auto's engage the same but the auto's as mentioned aren't safe, I think the mechanical advance on the older ones are the same, like mentioned the vacuum advance would need to be removed ( easy ) but, still not safe.

Alternatives:

1. New.. from Sierra Marine and others like Pertronix ( they sell complete new units with their electronic ignition installed )

2. Used from many wholesale marine places, can even get a 2.5L/3.0L inline 4 cylinder and remove/replace the main shaft and use yours depending on the wear on the shaft. (did this myself recently as I broke the mounting flange on my original one)

3. the problem could be just a cap and rotor change, honestly I would install a pertronix ignition kit purchased from carshopinc.com or ebay. the Sierra Marine and Napa ones are the same but double the $$$.. Also get yourself a new set of marine wires and some new plugs...

ps.. my engine is from a '74 Nova.. (partly)"

"If you just pull the vacuum a

"If you just pull the vacuum advance, you will still have the opening in the body which violated the 'ignition protection' requirements. To do it correctly, you'll have to fill that void completely. The 'fill jobs' adequacy will be always be questionable unless tested.

I'd suggest really researching the potential liability you own before going down that path."

"[b]"If you just pull the

""If you just pull the vacuum advance, you will still have the opening in the body which violated the 'ignition protection' requirements. To do it correctly, you'll have to fill that void completely. The 'fill jobs' adequacy will be always be questionable unless tested.

I'd suggest really researching the potential liability you own before going down that path."

Ayuh,... I Agree,... That would be a Very Poor Choice...
Even when the body hole was filled,...
The Advance would be Wrong, if it worked at All..."

Back