Logo

LPG conversion for 43L

biltong

"Hi;

here in OZ LPG is very

"Hi;

here in OZ LPG is very cheap at 57Cents / litre vs regular at AUD 1.20 / litre. Many of the large capacity 4x4 Landcruiser type vehicles are converted to dual fuel.

Has anyone onverted a Mercruiser to LPG and / or any thoughts on the subject. Apparently there are some isues with cvalve lubrication etc and a bit of a power loss, but very clean burning and a saving in fuel cost of about 40%."

"There are other issues! LPG m

"There are other issues! LPG may not be legal to carry on board in your area.
Even if this were to equate to a 40% fuel savings, it is not worth the safety of you, your friends and family, IMO."

"Kyle Thomas
Good news on the

"Kyle Thomas
Good news on the price of LPG Down Under. Just a heads up. I live in Oil Country here in Canada and had the same issue several years ago with the prices.........until some Politician decided to tax the hell out of it, now we pay just about as much as gasoline. So my spending a couple thousand to retrofit to LPG was kind of useless.
Bert"

"Any failure in a LPG fuel del

"Any failure in a LPG fuel delivery system is almost guaranteed to be catastrophic. Vehicles are open to the environment and if the leak occurs, there's a ventilation path for it to dissipate. The hull is sealed and there will only be an ever increasing concentration.

I'd take the odds with gasoline, everyday, vs LPG.

Even if you could afford a full time maintenance department, the scenario Bert laid out is repeated quite often. Some politician will discover a 'need' that isn't funded. That void is filled by a cheap product being taxed. This history lesson get repeated regularly."

"I have no problem with it, pr

"I have no problem with it, provided it is well thought out and installed properly. In fact it's probably safer than gasoline. One of the biggest cause of explosions or fires with gasoline systems is the eventual failure of the tanks and lines due to internal corrosion from water and fuel additives. This is not an issue with propane.

There are certainly safety systems available which can monitor the air and automatically shutdown specific onboard systems in the event of a compromise or failure in the fuel system.

My question is, where do you refuel?"

"agreed the safety issue is a

"agreed the safety issue is a concern by as Rick states sufficient devices are available. There are gas appliances on most of the boats here.

Refueling will be at the local service station before going out, I only have a 19ft ski boat.

The govenment here pays about half the conversion for a car, so maybe they would for a boat.

It may solve my dieseling prblem, as the gas will switch off imediately the engine is cut."

"what an irony talking about f

"what an irony talking about fuel safety issues. Went fishing yesterday and there was a strong smell of petrol on the boat, strangely strongest at the LH front seat. Kept the blower on most of the time, re-fueled on the way home and when I was putting the cover on the smell was just so strong. I investigated futher to find the fuel gauge seal at the top of the tank was oosing fuel out. Opened the bilge drain plug and got 3 litres od fuel out, with 1 litre of saltwater. Tightened up the 8 5/8" nuts and problem gone. I doubt the 2 lb fire extinguisher would have been very effective had she sparked!!!!!!!!!! Only had the boat 3 weeks, so thought the smell was just from the carbs. Lucky call as I always refuel after a day out.

Check yours today?"

Back