Logo

MFS 30 B EFI 2006 impeller

finnish

"User Manual recommends to cha

"User Manual recommends to change it every year.
I found that little bit too offen.
Some other major brand recommends 5 years or 1000 hours.
In general, the recommendation in the user manual are a bit off logic,
Timing belt -> no change period, just check.
When breaks, no warnings and major damages.
Impeller -> change every year.
When breaks then over heats and warning by lower rpm limit, sound and light.
Maybe a mishap here."

"It's a liability issue...

"It's a liability issue...If Tohatsu said to change the impeller every 5 years or 1000 hours, some idiot would then start complaining it only lasted 4 years or 800 hours
In general, an impeller will last anywhere from five to eight years for someone who does not run in sand. We recommend changing them out every two years( for heavy duty use) or when the pee stream begins to weaken(average Joe).

The timing belt does have a maintenance change out time...See your owners manual. Again, for liability reasons they say to change it out after, I think, 200 hours. The things are designed to last for about ten years or 1000 hours. We suggest replacing them at the first sign of degradation, which usually occurs at about the 5 year mark....Use does not normally wear out a belt. They usually begin to develop cracks and tears due to environmental issues such as dry rot or chemical damage from lubricants that people use to keep their engines clean."

"Your comments are similar to

"Your comments are similar to my thoughts also.

Impeller,
I just found out that Mercury 30 says to change it after 3 years or 300hours for the same motor.

Timing belt,
User manual which came with motor just says "check and replace if necessary" every 100 hours and nothing else.

Just check my belt (260 hours) and valves and belt looking like new and no adjustment needed on either check point."

I'll have to check on the

I'll have to check on the belt with Tohatsu. There is a specific period that they recommend...It might be in the service manual or it may have been the warranty addendum they issued while they were offering the engine with the five year warranty earlier this year.

"Timing Belt,
any news from T

"Timing Belt,
any news from Tohatsu?

Impeller,
Although the pee stream was ok I decided to change it and lucky I did, after 3 years and 260 hours, see photo.
So, your 2 year recommendation sounds good, ...before pieces of the rubber starts to go to cooling system.

295801.jpg
Impeller_after_3years_260hours"">

I changed the gear shift rod locking pin to more convenient type, I think.
A cotter pin A4 steel of course.
295802.jpg
Pin_choice

"Tohatsu said they have no ide

"Tohatsu said they have no idea where I got the 200 hour change out time on the belt. But, they do recommend some other things be replaced at 200 hours so that's probably why I thought that was the magic number."

You need to drop the lower uni

You need to drop the lower unit every year and check the water pump...it is advisable if the impeller is in good condition to change it every two years

Back