Logo

80hp stalls when warm

dene

"I have just bought a boat wit

"I have just bought a boat with a 80hp Perkins, after running for about an hour if I drop back to idle she stalls, she will restart but stalls when put under the slightest load. let to cool for 20min and all is good again. this makes it a bit hairy coming into a marina. any ideas?"

"My first guess would be lift

"My first guess would be lift pump, weak and at low speed can't keep up pressure. That is easy to change or re-furbish. Otherwise, injector pump would be my next guess. One type has an anti-stall thingy which may be faulty or mal-adjusted."

"Glenn, I think your on the mo

"Glenn, I think your on the money, I've got a Mech putting a electric fuel pump on and will let you know if this solves the problem.
Thanks for your advice."

"Personally, I would have just

"Personally, I would have just replaced the mechanical pump. They run for many years and there is no reliance on power to stay running. Either way though, hope it solves the problem. Do let us know.
happy.gif
"

"Well the electric fuel pump d

"Well the electric fuel pump did not fix the problem, what's my next move?

I have ruled out any fuel issue up to the injecter pump and any breathing issues."

"Not many things can stop a di

"Not many things can stop a diesel engine. Fuel and air in the right quantities at the right time, bit of compression. Getting down to injector pump or lack of compression when hot I am thinking. Get a compression test done, hot and cold I would suggest. (Once had an engine that behaved a little similar and it was a crack in the head which opened up when warm, hence low compression). If they are ok, then get the pump tested or swap it out for a mates one. After that, head off and service including crack test. Sorry it wasn't more simple."

"Hi Glenn, I have found a leak

"Hi Glenn, I have found a leak in the shaft at the top of the injector pump where the throtle cable attaches. do you think this could create the problem?"

I doubt that would cause it. I

I doubt that would cause it. If anything that wouldleak diesel out as it should be under lift pump pressure.

"Well, I have had the injector

"Well, I have had the injector pump rebuilt and a new set of injector are also thrown in. 1 question before I atempt to start, do I need to re-time the engine or can I bolt it straight on?"

"Hopefully you marked where sh

"Hopefully you marked where she was set before you removed the pump. If not, bolt the injector lines on before you tighten the pump. That should put it pretty close. Small timing changes will affect the maximum output, but won't cause major issues."

"It seems the re-built injecto

"It seems the re-built injector pump and a setof re-ferbed injectors did the trick, I took her out for a run yesterday and after an hour of running up at 85deg C she idled back and went in and out of forward and reverse without missing a beat. I was told that the injector pump preasure head was so badly worn that it was a suprise she was running at all. 3 out of 4 injectors were also buggered. thanks for your advise Glenn. its great to know there is someone out there to give a bit of help.

Cheers,
Dene."

Back