Logo

Tohatsu 99 2 stroke

smccune

"I have a 2002 Tohatsu 9.9 2 s

"I have a 2002 Tohatsu 9.9 2 stroke. I pull the choke, pull the starter cord and presto - starts right up. runs about 20 - 30 seconds and dies and wonts start again for an hour or so. Pulled the plugs they were wet and dark. Install new plugs started right up and after 20 - 30 seconds died and would not restart. Good fuel thru the fuel filter. I do not run the engine out of fuel between weekend uses (its on my sailboat tender). Any suggestions?"

Start running the fuel out of

Start running the fuel out of the engine after every use and have your carburetor cleaned. What country are you in?

Took carb off - cleaned and ch

Took carb off - cleaned and changed plugs. Started using starting with starter fluid - runs until fluid burn off.
I've done everything except change out fuel in tank.

We're located in USA - doc

We're located in USA - docked at Highport Marina at Lake Texoma.

Have thoroughly cleaned the carb - still dies after a few short seconds. Will not start at all until starting fluid is introduced. It starts runs about 4 - 5 seconds then dies.

Wondering If I shouldn't change out fuel?

"Did you take the carb apart,

"Did you take the carb apart, soak it for three hours in carb cleaner and then try it? And, yes, you should dump your old fuel and start over. The reason I asked what country you were in is that the 9.9 2-stroke wasn't available in the U.S. in 2002."

Check when the engine dies if

Check when the engine dies if you can pump up the primer bulb if you can try to start it again and keep pumping the primer if it continues to run you have a fuel pump prob

"I could be wrong on the 2002

"I could be wrong on the 2002 model. Bulb stays firm and there's pressure in line. I'll reclean carb and change fuel . Meanwhile, being the patient soul I am, I've purchased a 2008 Yamaha 15 hp 2 stroke to replace the 9.9, that should solve the problem... Thanks for the advice"

Back