Logo

50L EFI Winterize

lnkboat

99 Larson 206LXi 5.0L EFI Alph

99 Larson 206LXi 5.0L EFI Alpha1 I am new to this boat. The block drain plug on the port side turned out to be a brass valve that was very stiff. I can find no reference to this in any manual. Is this unique to Larson? Any advantage to keeping it? Is there a trick or tool to getting the drain plug removed from the bottom of the fuel cooler? I ended up breaking the ears off and settled for removing the hose. Have learned a great deal from this forum....Thank you!

Is the fuel cooler plug blue p

Is the fuel cooler plug blue plastic? It was put in too tight. Only needs to be finger tight. The "O" ring seals the opening. Same for the brass block drain being finger tight. I place a dab of 2-4-C grease on them when I replace them.

"The fuel cooler plug is blue

"The fuel cooler plug is blue plastic. On my boat it's in a very hard place to reach, and would not break loose by hand. I tried to reach up with a pair of pliers to break it loose and thats when I broke the ears off. Perhaps put in too tight or never removed before....Some sort of slotted tool perhaps on the end of a rachet would be nice to reach these. This boat was marina winterized every year before I got it and I wonder if they ran it through a tank of antifreeze and called it good. The brass valve is an actual lever type valve threaded into a bushing on the block.

To winterize I ran with muffs to operating temp. Shutdown and restarted with a Home Depot bucket above the stern, full of RV AF with a hose fitting, hose to muffs, until I had a nice stream of AF from the lower end, shut down. Then opened the drain plugs..air don't freeze. The AF was to cover my inexperience. I initially missed the brass valve because it was hidden by a hose and I was looking for a blue plug. We have had a couple of nights just reaching 32. The starboard side has a plug at the knock sensor and I kept thinking there had to be something on the port side. I felt better when I found the valve, opened it, and had a nice pink stream...

I am trying to understand the advantage of someone fitting the port side with a valve??
Is the port side usually a blue plug in a bushing mounted in the block??

2-4-C is a good idea, thanks"

Is it a 1/4 turn valve? Proba

Is it a 1/4 turn valve? Probably tired of snapping off blue plugs. I would get the cool fuel broken plug out in the off season. Heat the tip of a wide flat blade screwdriver and insert it into the broken plug. Wait for it to cool and then unscrew it.

"Yes 1/4 turn brass. I may hav

"Yes 1/4 turn brass. I may have to pull the cooler in order to get the plug out, very confined space. I like the heated screw driver idea, thanks again."

Back