Logo

Gear Lube leaking

"I just had my Mercruiser 3.0

"I just had my Mercruiser 3.0 Alpha Gen 2 winterized by a local shop.
After bringing the boat home and having it sit in the garage for a day, I noticed a small puddle of gear lube on the floor under the lower unit. Wiped it up and same thing the next day.
Lube appears to be leaking out of two small vent holes (not lube vent hole) on either side of lower unit.
Any idea? Want to make sure the mechanic who worked on it didn't miss something --first time he has worked on the boat.
Thanks"

"They pulled the drive, checke

"They pulled the drive, checked engine alignment, drained & filled gear lube, fogged engine, changed oil, winterized.
thanks"

There shouldn't be oil lea

There shouldn't be oil leaking out of water drain ports. Are you sure they didn't change the impeller? If the lower impeller housing was changed and the seal not seated then the gear lube could come out. Take it back.

It is going back. The lube is

It is going back. The lube is coming out of what the owners manual describes as the "trim Tab cavity drain passage." THe impeller was not changed to my knowledge but any further comments are welcome.
Just want to make sure I don't end up with a fly-by-night shop.
Thanks again

They left out the small square

They left out the small square oil gasket between the upper and lower halves or it slipped out of position.

Picking up the boat tomorrow.

Picking up the boat tomorrow.
Thanks again for the advice.
Probably going to do the winterization myself next year. Any advice?
How difficult is it to change the fuel filter?

"The fuel filter on the 3.0 sh

"The fuel filter on the 3.0 should be inside the mechanical fuel pump. The difficulty will depend on your hull, specifically how much space is in the engine compartment. I have to remove the pump from the engine on my 2005, 185 Bayliner in order to change the filter. Good luck!"

I have a 2006 mercruiser 4.3 l

I have a 2006 mercruiser 4.3 litre...I am leaking gear lube also but can't tell where ist coming from. I noticed an oily residue on transom are which would tell me its coming from the lower unit somewhere...is there a seal behind the prop or a common seal that leaks on these?

Jeff: you should start your o

Jeff: you should start your own posting for the most responses. Pull the prop and look for fishing line around the shaft; it cuts the shaft seal.

Back