Logo

Rust Buster Test data

bertg

Regular Contributor
"Got this info from a Mechanic

"Got this info from a Mechanic buddy of mine......interesting.
Bert

"The April/May 2007 edition of Machinist's Workshop did a test of penetrating oils where they measured the force required to loosen rusty test devices. Buy the issue if you want to see how they did the test. The results reported were interesting. The lower the number of pounds the better. Mighty interesting results for simple acetone and transmission fluid!

Penetrating oil . Average load .. Price per fluid ounce
None ................. 516 pounds .
WD-40 .............. 238 pounds .. $0.25
PB Blaster ......... 214 pounds .. $0.35
Liquid Wrench .......127 pounds .. $0.21
Kano Kroil .......,. 106 pounds .. $0.75
ATF-Acetone mix.,,,,. 53 pounds .. $0.10

The ATF-Acetone mix was a 50/50 mix (1 to 1 ratio).""

"This is interesting Bert. Thi

"This is interesting Bert. This ATF-Acetone, is this a two part penetrating oil that you gotta mix it yourself? or does it come this way in a spray can?"

I have a small squirt bottle a

I have a small squirt bottle and I'm going to mix up a batch for the shop. Thanks Bert.

"James Hicks
Sounds to me lik

"James Hicks
Sounds to me like you just conjure it up by yourself. I haven't tried it, too busy cleaning the garage today.
sun.gif

Bert"

"Bert:

did they give any in

"Bert:

did they give any indications how they started with "equal" samples? also, how many trials with each 'ingredient' did the run?"

"makomark
This was just an em

"makomark
This was just an email I got. As it says in the text, you can buy the issue and it's all explained there
Bert"

I'll see how it goes w/a s

I'll see how it goes w/a small mix; acetone conerns me since it will take paint off and soften resin.

"Thanks Bert - was hoping ther

"Thanks Bert - was hoping there was a bit more info in the email.

The other "concern" with acetone is that it readily evaporates if not in a sealed container.

I can vouch for Kano Kroil as we used it frequently in the shop I frequented. That supplemented with heat, if needed, would free up everything but an epoxied exhaust cover bolt on an outboard. Diesel/heating oil usually did pretty good it you could 'soak' the parts."

"And one other concern with Ac

"And one other concern with Acetone is that it is EXTREMELY flammable, not only the liquid itself, but the vapor in particular.
When mixed with ATF it should behave a bit better, but I'd be EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS ESPECIALLY if I was trying to use a torch to "help" it. Which on second thought would be a very bad idea."

One of the guys on the Merc Ne

One of the guys on the Merc Newsgroup says when they are mixed together the combination isn't flammable. He says you can put a torch to it??
Bert

"Actually, that's probably

"Actually, that's probably true, however, when you heat a part either before or after applying the mixture, then the lower boiling point of the acetone will be a factor and the acetone will "outgas" to "interesting effect" if there is a source of ignition a.k.a. torch flame around.

For that matter , you can toss a lit match into a puddle of gas and it will go out (usually)... however in the gas puddle example, if there is a layer of vapor above the puddle and the lit match passes thru a layer where the air to fuel ratio is "just right"...... KABOOM

I'd use it only if it was in a well ventilated area and no torch or other open flame was involved."

Back